Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Netflix Streaming Issue

I have a new iMac 27 - I7 core, 8gb memory, 2 TB hard drive.

When I try to watch a streaming Netflix video, I get the following error:

Internet Connectin Problem
Error Code: N8156-6013

An internet or home network connection problem is preventing playback. Please check your internet connection and try again.

The problem is that I have an Intel iMac 24, and iPad and an Intel Macbook on the same network and they stream the Netflix videos just fine.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Thanks and regards,

Rex Ross

27 inch Intel iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.4), iPhone 4 16GB / 32GB iPad

Posted on Aug 20, 2010 11:48 AM

46 replies

Sep 19, 2010 12:23 PM in response to Rex Ross

I'm having the same issue with my new 27" iMac. I transferred my applications using migration assistant from my old MacBook and ran into the same issue above. Since then I have removed all Silverlight files using the Finder's Search and AppCleaner, rebooting after deleting the files and after reinstalling Silverlight. I am still getting this error message. I've also copied the "DRM" folder from my MacBook and created an empty "PlayReady" folder in the Library. Neither of those solved the problem. I'm at a loss as to what to do next. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Dec 10, 2010 2:34 PM in response to amilnarski

Hi, I had the same problem.

Netflix streaming had worked fine before but stopped working with error code N8156-6022 after using migration assistant to set up a new Mac. I tried uninstalling Silverlight, rebooting and reinstalling to no avail.

On a hunch I created a new user (with admin privileges) and tried Netflix instant streaming from there. Netflix streamed fine from the new user-id.

I then went back to the original user-id and removed Silverlight completely:-

1. Deleted Silverlight and PlayReady folders from Macintosh HD > Library > Application Support > Microsoft.
2. Deleted Silverlight.plugin from Macintosh HD > Library > Internet Plug-Ins
3. Deleted Silverlight folder from Macintosh HD > Users > current-username > Library > Application Support > Microsoft.
4. Deleted Silverlight Preferences alias from Applications folder.
5. Emptied Trash
6. Restarted.

I then logged into the newly created user-id and went to Netflix and tried to watch an instant movie. Netflix then went through the reinstallation process.

After the new installation completed and the movie started playing, I quit and logged out of the new user.

When I logged back into the old user-id, and went to Netflix to watch an instant movie - it worked fine.

Cheers, Bill

Jan 15, 2011 8:19 PM in response to Bill Bradford

Thanks Bill and Pjd71.

I had the same problem tonight. First, I tried what Netflix suggested and just trashed the Silverlight plug-in in the main library. That didn't work.

Then, I tried Rex's suggestion, and tried trashing hardisk/Library/Application Support/Microsoft/Playready/mspr.hds but that didn't work either.

Then, I tried Bill's suggestions (trashing all the Silverlight components he mentioned), but like Pjd71 just used my main user account to do so. After restarting, it worked like a charm.

Thanks Again,
Sam

May 26, 2011 3:34 PM in response to Rex Ross

I tried bills suggestion, didn't work at all. I migrated from an older macbook (intel) to an i7 macbook pro. I have tried nearly everything and can't get it to work AT ALL. I have no mspr.hds file either, i don't even have a playready folder for that matter. I'm considering deleting my netflix account, using my old computer for netflix doesn't justify paying the 14 a month

Netflix Streaming Issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.