post-hack wifi extension reset - airport to extend comcast xfinity wifi

A few months back, I believe the linksys mesh pair I was using to extend my Comcast X-fi network was corrupted due to a hack via my Xfi router. With an updated X-fi gateway, I switched to my Airport Time Capsule and Airport Extreme to boost signal; created a separate network instead of extending. The Time Capsule was the base and the Extreme was in my office. I have since had to replace my Xfi modem router again - twice, as they will not stay set overnight. I purchased a Netgear AC1900 modem router as I've had good experience with them in the past. HOWEVER, I've been unable to set up my airports to extend the wifi. I do not want to invest in a mesh system as I have the Airports. The internet unfortunately enters my house in an added on room (TV room) and has 30 ft, 2 brick walls (and windows) between the Modem/Router and the office. If the signal can be broadcast from my office, it will reach the rest of the house (other than the garage - dead spot due to corrugated metal interior walls (no - i did not build). I would like the Airport Extreme to be the Base attached via ethernet to the Netgear modem router and then keep my Time Capsule in my office so I can stay hardwired to it for backups. Is there someone who might be able to help guide me through this? My Time Capsule and Extreme firmware is updated, as well as any device on my system.

Time Capsule

Posted on Sep 1, 2023 1:35 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 1, 2023 7:18 PM

bertie bruce wrote:

... Netgear MODEM/router to AEBS via 10’ ethernet cable gets the AEBS to the window.

With the Netgear within 10' of the AEBS, you will want to disable its wireless radios to prevent Wi-Fi interference with the AEBS.

Then hopefully AETC will be across the patio and 2 brick windowed walls via WiFi.

This will definitely be the "weak link" in your wireless network, performance-wise. There is a significant amount of Wi-Fi interference due to obstacles between the AEBS & TC.

To get a good idea on exactly how much, we will want to take Signal-to-Noise Ratio (SNR) readings at the location of the TC, that is being used to extend the wireless network being provided by the AEBS.

I authored the following user tip article, which should come in handy on how to take these measurements, and what they mean. Getting these will determine if your efforts will be successful in the long run with this arrangement.

Here is that article: AirPort - Optimal Base Station Placement - Apple Community

Please give it a read and let me know if you have any questions.

Similar questions

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 1, 2023 7:18 PM in response to bertie bruce

bertie bruce wrote:

... Netgear MODEM/router to AEBS via 10’ ethernet cable gets the AEBS to the window.

With the Netgear within 10' of the AEBS, you will want to disable its wireless radios to prevent Wi-Fi interference with the AEBS.

Then hopefully AETC will be across the patio and 2 brick windowed walls via WiFi.

This will definitely be the "weak link" in your wireless network, performance-wise. There is a significant amount of Wi-Fi interference due to obstacles between the AEBS & TC.

To get a good idea on exactly how much, we will want to take Signal-to-Noise Ratio (SNR) readings at the location of the TC, that is being used to extend the wireless network being provided by the AEBS.

I authored the following user tip article, which should come in handy on how to take these measurements, and what they mean. Getting these will determine if your efforts will be successful in the long run with this arrangement.

Here is that article: AirPort - Optimal Base Station Placement - Apple Community

Please give it a read and let me know if you have any questions.

Sep 2, 2023 12:45 PM in response to bertie bruce

There are actually three types of "resets" that can be performed on the base station: soft, hard, & factory default.

If you goal is just to be able to access the base station with the AirPort Utility to change any of the base station's passwords, you just need to do the "soft" reset. This should allow you approx. 5 mins to access the base station (without a password), to change them.

Ref: How to reset your AirPort base station - Apple Support

Sep 1, 2023 5:28 PM in response to bertie bruce

Just to be sure I understand your goal with this networking hardware, will the connections between these routers all be Ethernet? ... or will only the AirPort Extreme Base Station (AEBS) & Netgear have an Ethernet connection, and the Time Capsule (TC) to have a wireless connection back to the AEBS?

Where is the AEBS located in relation to the Netgear gateway? Same or different room? If different room, what it the rough Ethernet cable run between them?

Finally, which exact models are your base stations?

Sep 1, 2023 6:26 PM in response to Tesserax

Thank you - Netgear MODEM/router to AEBS via 10’ ethernet cable gets the AEBS to the window.

Then hopefully AETC will be across the patio and 2 brick windowed walls via WiFi. I do like to have the Ethernet connection for backing up between MacBook & TC.

AE Model A1521, 802.11ac, 7.9.1 TC - Model A1470, 802.11ac

The Netgear is getting a weak, but usable signal across the patio to the office, where the Xfinity items never made it across without aid. Netgear is a Nighthawk WiFi5 AC1900 Cable Modem Router if that matters.

Ethernet cable running from Netgear to AAEBS, I see I’ve made incorrect choices in setting up the AEBS, as the status reads: This AirPort base station is set up to join a specific wireless network that can’t be found. If you don’t see the network you want to join, make sure the wireless device is plugged in and in range of this AirPort base station.

I thought choosing Wireless/Extend a wireless network would get me there. Apparently it’s not using the Ethernet connection. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. Poor research on my part. Are you able to clue me in?

Sep 1, 2023 7:48 PM in response to Tesserax

This is all great information. Since I didn’t realize that the Netgear router was so much stronger than the XFi router, I believe I might have more options - such as picking up the Netgear signal via Wi-Fi in my office with the AAETC, using it as a base station, and then extending toward the garage or back yard with the AAE.

Your referenced tutorial will help me make an educated choice regarding the placement - very pleasing.

Unfortunately it’s been ages since I’ve dealt with any of this (never had to deal with it at all in the old Performa or Cube days). My set up when I bought the AirPorts and used them at my old, wide open house was straightforward. I need to verify the different setting choices in AirPort Utility to see where I’m tripping myself up.

Sep 2, 2023 8:22 AM in response to bertie bruce

bertie bruce wrote:

... Since I didn’t realize that the Netgear router was so much stronger than the XFi router, I believe I might have more options - such as picking up the Netgear signal via Wi-Fi in my office with the AAETC, using it as a base station, and then extending toward the garage or back yard with the AAE.

Sorry, but that won't work. An Apple base station can only extend another Apple base station via a wireless connection between them. You will not be able to extend the Netgear with the TC this way. It would have to be wired.

Sep 2, 2023 11:47 AM in response to Tesserax

Thank you for kindly pointing that out. I really have forgotten so much -- even when I read the instructions carefully, I am just missing the obvious.

I was able to hard reset the AAE, and was able to set up a network. However, I'm got all sorts of errors when I tried to change the password. After being hacked before, I'm not about to leave them here - but I apparently can't do everything fast enough after the reset to change the password. I'm trying one more time and then giving up until I can have someone come over and help. I really appreciate your patience with this and with the article you shared regarding signal strength.   Signal / Noise: -49 dBm / -92 dBm sitting by the AAE and measuring its signal from my laptop.   Signal / Noise: -37 dBm / -92 dBm same room measuring the Netgear from the laptop. (signal reads -32 dBm / 0 on the AAE when I'm on the Netgear's signal)

iphone is sitting beside me on the AAE, and my husband is sitting behind me on his phone on the Netgear. The room has a TV hard connected to the cable/internet - it's on. No refrigerators or other such things nearby.

I was easily able to get a strong signal in my office across the patio - phone and printer had full signal bars and connected instantly (haven't measured signal).

Assuming another hard reset will allow me to reset passwords successfully, I'll add the TC in the office. Otherwise, a trip to BestBuy or the Microcenter for mesh.

If I am successful & can maintain signal moving from this AAE room to walk to the office, I will be set.

If not, I'll just live with it until there's a need to mesh out the house. Although, I hear that Apple may be bringing out a new version of the AirPort. :)

Sep 2, 2023 7:50 PM in response to Tesserax

yes, T. thank you -- I had to do a hard reset on the AAE before I was successful hooking it up at all - it had not been the basestation previously. When I went back to update the passwords I didn't have to reset at all -- I just made sure that the device asking to do the update was not on the same network, and that took care of it. I did set up the ATC in the office, not realizing that the Netgear 5G signal from the router actually makes it over here (previous routers had not, neither on 2.4 nor 5G), but I still would have had to stretch the network to reach the rest of the house. I'll be using the little bit slower Apple network around here except for Zoom meetings and larger downloads. When all my SMART devices are hooked back up, I'll have to choose which system to put them on. I'm rather happy with the result. Grateful for your help. Be well.

post-hack wifi extension reset - airport to extend comcast xfinity wifi

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.