Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Air M2 Display Glitch Ongoing

Hi Everyone,

Have been having this screen glitching issue on my M2 MacBook Air since I got it in the Summer of 2022. Have AppleCare. Took it in for support. They sent it away and said nothing was wrong. They wiped the computer and when I got it back it was happening again.

Any ideas? (This issue happens under any load, including with nothing open, but may be happening more under increased load. Does not replicate on external monitor.): https://youtu.be/bBSJ3Xeg6MA

Driving me absolutely wild. (M2 MacBook Air, 2022, 16GB, Monterey 12.6.8 (21G725))

J

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Sep 1, 2023 1:38 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 10, 2023 5:18 AM

I have almost the same problem. Only horizontal lines and a looks like a little less than yours. Happens at random. Seems to happen when it gets a bit warmer. But comes and goes. Just had it like a minute. And now it's gone for the last 5 mins. Restarting helps a bit. But then after a 10 mins it starts again. Close the lid. Wait a bit and it stays away for a 10 mins or so. Then it starts again. Thing is just a few week short of being 1 year old. M2, 8 cores, 16GB Ventura last update.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 10, 2023 5:18 AM in response to IrishOxford

I have almost the same problem. Only horizontal lines and a looks like a little less than yours. Happens at random. Seems to happen when it gets a bit warmer. But comes and goes. Just had it like a minute. And now it's gone for the last 5 mins. Restarting helps a bit. But then after a 10 mins it starts again. Close the lid. Wait a bit and it stays away for a 10 mins or so. Then it starts again. Thing is just a few week short of being 1 year old. M2, 8 cores, 16GB Ventura last update.

Sep 1, 2023 8:21 PM in response to IrishOxford

IrishOxford Said:

"MacBook Air M2 Display Glitch Ongoing: Hi Everyone, Have been having this screen glitching issue on my M2 MacBook Air since I got it in the Summer of 2022. Have AppleCare. Took it in for support. They sent it away and said nothing was wrong. They wiped the computer and when I got it back it was happening again.[...]"

-------

Troubleshooting Glitching Mac Screen:

Reinstall the macOS:

Go Here: How to Reinstall macOS from macOS Recovery - Apple SupportImportant: Be certain to create a backup of your Mac prior to all of this. That way, you can have something to restore from the Mac from, should anything go wrong with the reinstall. Once reinstalled, try this once more.

Feb 14, 2024 9:35 AM in response to IrishOxford

Hello!

I have the exact same problem and I'm really don't know what to do right now. I send it to apple and they just wiped it said that the problem is gone. Then i went to two different premium resellers and they both couldn't reproduce the error. One even charged me 60€ for looking deeper into it but even then they couldn't see the problem.

I showed them to two different videos where the display flickers/glitches exactly as in your video.

Since i don't know how to reproduce the problem myself they can not help me with this. What should i do now? I have limited warranty until september.

Sep 10, 2023 8:04 AM in response to EJvP

Yep, I think there's a relationship between heat and the glitching too. I'm talking about being outside in even 65/70-degree temperatures, but out of the sun. Thank you so much for replying. There's clearly an issue going on with something here, and it's really helpful to hear that it's happening in Ventura as well, reducing the chance that it's software-driven (I'm using Monterey still and have been holding off on updating). Interesting that you have the same model as me, and that we bought them around the same time (mine in August of 2022). Would be interesting to know if they're part of the same batch.

I need to take it in again and ask for a replacement via AppleCare.

Thanks again! This has been super helpful.

Sep 10, 2023 3:51 PM in response to IrishOxford

Yes it's a major problem. Especially for being note even a year old. Could indeed be a heat problem as it only comes when it's on for a while and i have a few things open. And if the outside temp is higher. Or its on my legs. And indeed this is both a problem on Ventura and Monterey. But that part of the OS could stil be the same. It seems there is no separate video card or processor and that everything is bolted on that one M2 chip. So overheating and throttling might be related. It's annoying i can't find more users with this problem. Usually they are far worse or different. So you're not alone. Please let me know what the say at the Applecare. I need to bring it in before 11 Oct as well. But you will always see that if i bring it in it works fine. I also did a hardware test. But since you reboot it and after that it's always gone for a while it doesn't come up with anything. That AA000 code or something that notting is found. And indeed we almost bought it at the same time. I bought it in Oct. Model Identifier: Mac14,2, Model Number: Z1610019DTH/A. Hope they can tell you what's wrong. It's morning here and been typing this first and no problem so far. Driving me bonkers.

Dec 29, 2023 3:45 PM in response to IrishOxford

Thanks dude. Yeah it's been so intermitting here. Then it's gone (after an update) then it starts again a little. And now i have it big time. Way worse than before. Il try to see if how it goes with different angles on my screen see if that makes it worse or better. And I'll definitely take it in. Off course my apple care just ran out. (here you only get one year warrenty)

But thanks for the feedback.

Jan 22, 2024 11:22 AM in response to IrishOxford

Been having a similar problem almost since I got the 2022 M2 laptop, but very intermittent initially. First presented as locking up after the screen went to sleep on power saver. Finally got it to where I could reproduce the issue by opening and closing the lid 10-15 times, although towards the end it only took once or twice to get the display to go black and stay black, even when the keyboard was responding.

I'd reinstalled the OS, but problem still happened in safe mode. Apple Care tried replacing the lid sensor, problem still happened. It's been in TN for the past week getting worked on, hopefully they're replacing the display or checking the internal cables - wonder if something is getting pinched/shorting, maybe that's why it's getting worse with time?

Anyone getting this issue - try opening and closing the lid a bunch of times in safe mode and see if the screen doesn't turn back on eventually.

MacBook Air M2 Display Glitch Ongoing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.