Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

My flight tracking

I’m currently struggling with finding how to track my friends flights on iMessage I was sent the flight code and i clicked on it but it didn’t work, I even went to notes and typed it and clicked on search and it showed no results and I tried also on the search bar and nothing , so how can I turn it on?

iPhone XR, iOS 16

Posted on Sep 2, 2023 6:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 2, 2023 6:47 AM

The flight tracking feature in iMessage is only available if you have iMessage turned on. To check if iMessage is turned on, go to Settings > Messages and make sure that the toggle switch next to iMessage is turned on.

1. To activate iMessage and FaceTime using your Phone number
    1. First, check to know whether you have an SMS plan enabled for at least One SMS*** with your carrier. Contact your Carrier (Cellular Service Provider) the agency that issued the SIM to you
    2. If your iPhone is used with a carrier not found in the wireless carrier articles, make sure you can send and receive international SMS. (One international SMS*** Only)
    3. If you can't turn on or sign in to iMessage or FaceTime - Apple ...
    4. *** You may not have an SMS plan (Domestic & International) enabled by your carrier for the SIM/eSIM that you use on your device. Apple Inc does not provide SMS services.
  2. Once iMessage is turned on, you can track a flight by following these steps:
    1. Open the Messages app.
    2. Find the conversation where the flight information was sent.
    3. Tap on the flight number and airline name.
    4. Tap on Preview Flight.

The flight information will open in an overlay screen in the Messages app. This includes the arrival and departure times, status, and an interactive map.

If you're not seeing the flight tracking feature, make sure that you're using the latest version of iOS. You can also try restarting your iPhone.

Here are some other things to keep in mind:

• The flight tracking feature only works if the flight information is sent in the correct format. The correct format is:
    • Airline name + flight number: Delta Airlines 405
    • Airline abbreviation + flight number: DL 405
    • Airline abbreviation + flight number (no space): DL405
  • The flight tracking feature may not work for all airlines.
  • The flight tracking feature may not be available in all countries.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 2, 2023 6:47 AM in response to Airé

The flight tracking feature in iMessage is only available if you have iMessage turned on. To check if iMessage is turned on, go to Settings > Messages and make sure that the toggle switch next to iMessage is turned on.

1. To activate iMessage and FaceTime using your Phone number
    1. First, check to know whether you have an SMS plan enabled for at least One SMS*** with your carrier. Contact your Carrier (Cellular Service Provider) the agency that issued the SIM to you
    2. If your iPhone is used with a carrier not found in the wireless carrier articles, make sure you can send and receive international SMS. (One international SMS*** Only)
    3. If you can't turn on or sign in to iMessage or FaceTime - Apple ...
    4. *** You may not have an SMS plan (Domestic & International) enabled by your carrier for the SIM/eSIM that you use on your device. Apple Inc does not provide SMS services.
  2. Once iMessage is turned on, you can track a flight by following these steps:
    1. Open the Messages app.
    2. Find the conversation where the flight information was sent.
    3. Tap on the flight number and airline name.
    4. Tap on Preview Flight.

The flight information will open in an overlay screen in the Messages app. This includes the arrival and departure times, status, and an interactive map.

If you're not seeing the flight tracking feature, make sure that you're using the latest version of iOS. You can also try restarting your iPhone.

Here are some other things to keep in mind:

• The flight tracking feature only works if the flight information is sent in the correct format. The correct format is:
    • Airline name + flight number: Delta Airlines 405
    • Airline abbreviation + flight number: DL 405
    • Airline abbreviation + flight number (no space): DL405
  • The flight tracking feature may not work for all airlines.
  • The flight tracking feature may not be available in all countries.

My flight tracking

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.