My phone keeps shutting on and off and I'm not sure why

My phone keeps shutting on and off. I have bought more iphone storage and it still keeps saying I don't have enough storage and my keeps shutting on and off. I also have 8 days left to save some icloud photos that I deleted to get some more storage but want them back and am having trouble doing so.

iPhone 11, iOS 15

Posted on Sep 2, 2023 1:32 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 2, 2023 1:39 PM

You have bought iCloud storage and that does not increase the available space on your iPhone.

——

I would like you to realize and know one important thing and that is that there is NOTHING that you can do to increase the physical storage capacity of your iPhone. Your iPhone's storage capacity will forever remain the same as the day you bought it. 

You have purchased ➔ iCloud Storage from Apple where you create and save your iPhone backups and synch (Not Store) your Messages, Photos, Contacts, Calendars, Notes and Reminders. Note that iCloud Storage is NOT an extension of storage capacity of your iPhone. Just wanted you to know some facts.

Having said that, you can choose to Optimize Storage on your iPhone for all the Photos. What this action will do is store your original quality photos on iCloud and a small size photo on your iPhone. This takes up less space on your iPhone while maintaining the actual size on iCloud. This will free up space on your iPhone while making good use of iCloud. If you would like to try this then open Settings ➔ Photos ➔ Optimize iPhone Storage : Ensure that this option is chosen and has a checkmark on it.

Axel F.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 2, 2023 1:39 PM in response to louissiaah

You have bought iCloud storage and that does not increase the available space on your iPhone.

——

I would like you to realize and know one important thing and that is that there is NOTHING that you can do to increase the physical storage capacity of your iPhone. Your iPhone's storage capacity will forever remain the same as the day you bought it. 

You have purchased ➔ iCloud Storage from Apple where you create and save your iPhone backups and synch (Not Store) your Messages, Photos, Contacts, Calendars, Notes and Reminders. Note that iCloud Storage is NOT an extension of storage capacity of your iPhone. Just wanted you to know some facts.

Having said that, you can choose to Optimize Storage on your iPhone for all the Photos. What this action will do is store your original quality photos on iCloud and a small size photo on your iPhone. This takes up less space on your iPhone while maintaining the actual size on iCloud. This will free up space on your iPhone while making good use of iCloud. If you would like to try this then open Settings ➔ Photos ➔ Optimize iPhone Storage : Ensure that this option is chosen and has a checkmark on it.

Axel F.

Sep 4, 2023 7:29 PM in response to louissiaah

No. If you delete photos on your iPhone then they will be deleted on iCloud as well.

What I recommend is that you can choose to Optimize Storage on your iPhone for all the Photos. What this action will do is store your original quality photos on iCloud and a small size photo on your iPhone. This takes up less space on your iPhone while maintaining the actual size on iCloud. This will free up space on your iPhone while making good use of iCloud. If you would like to try this then open Settings ➔ Photos ➔ Optimize iPhone Storage : Ensure that this option is chosen and has a checkmark on it.

Axel F.

My phone keeps shutting on and off and I'm not sure why

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.