Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

My Time Machine backup is stuck

Hello all

I am currently trying to create a Time Machine backup of my MacBook Pro 14-inch, 2023 Apple M2 Pro running macOS 13.5.1 (22G90). 

Up to now, I have been able to create backups on my external hard drive without any problems. But now I'm facing the problem that the Time Machine backup keeps stopping at the same place. Even after hours of waiting, there is no progress. For example, the backup gets stuck at 5.7% / 2.5 GB. I have already erased and partitioned the hard drive several times (GUID, APFS).

I have searched via Terminal or Console for an error message. I get the following error message:

Console: Failed to create volume info from disk '<TMDisk: 0x1628e2a00> '/System/Volumes/Data/home'', error: missingURLForRemounting

Terminal: 2023-09-02 17:09:01  Failed to create volume info from disk '<TMDisk: 0x16281d800> '/System/Volumes/Data/home'', error: missingURLForRemounting

Unfortunately I cannot find this path on my MacBook. So I am at the end with my knowledge and ask you for help. What do I have to do to get the backups working again?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

MacBook Pro 15″, OS X 10.11

Posted on Sep 2, 2023 2:40 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 13, 2023 11:56 PM

I have the same problem, my last backup completed on 5th of September, since then, not a single one on this particular disk completed successfully.

I will not erase previous backups until the release of the next macOS update to see if that resolves something. I have a separate time machine backup disk that works flawlessly.

Similar questions

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 13, 2023 11:56 PM in response to marc_ch

I have the same problem, my last backup completed on 5th of September, since then, not a single one on this particular disk completed successfully.

I will not erase previous backups until the release of the next macOS update to see if that resolves something. I have a separate time machine backup disk that works flawlessly.

Sep 3, 2023 11:59 AM in response to marc_ch

You could run First Aid on the TM drive but it will take a long time. Mine took about 6 hours.

How much free space do you have on your MBP's boot drive. If there isn't enough for a local snapshot there will be problems.

Have you installed and run any "cleaning", "optimizing", "speed-up", anti-virus or VPN apps on your Mac?

Sep 3, 2023 12:52 PM in response to Old Toad

Thanks for your answer!

1: Hm, First Aid unfortunately does not help. I had to erase the hard disk several times because nothing else worked.

2: My memory plan looks like this: 

Actually it should have enough free memory.

3: I have installed "AppCleaner". However, the app is only used to fully remove programs from the Mac when I delete them manually. It does not work in the background as far as I know. I do not use any apps in the "Optimizing" or "Speed-up" section.

---

Can you check if the path /System/Volumes/Data/ exists on your Mac? It does not exist for me.

Sep 3, 2023 10:27 AM in response to marc_ch

marc_ch wrote:

Hello all

I am currently trying to create a Time Machine backup of my MacBook Pro 14-inch, 2023 Apple M2 Pro running macOS 13.5.1 (22G90). 

Up to now, I have been able to create backups on my external hard drive without any problems. But now I'm facing the problem that the Time Machine backup keeps stopping at the same place. Even after hours of waiting, there is no progress. For example, the backup gets stuck at 5.7% / 2.5 GB. I have already erased and partitioned the hard drive several times (GUID, APFS).

I have searched via Terminal or Console for an error message. I get the following error message:

Console: Failed to create volume info from disk '<TMDisk: 0x1628e2a00> '/System/Volumes/Data/home'', error: missingURLForRemounting

Terminal: 2023-09-02 17:09:01  Failed to create volume info from disk '<TMDisk: 0x16281d800> '/System/Volumes/Data/home'', error: missingURLForRemounting

Unfortunately I cannot find this path on my MacBook. So I am at the end with my knowledge and ask you for help. What do I have to do to get the backups working again?

Time Machine issues—

"Time Machine has completed a new backup for you"

or get a message saying, "it can't create the backup,"

or “failed to complete the backup, ” 

or “Preparing backup”

If any of these message appear repeatedly —the Time Machine drive is operating in a state of failure.

The resolve would be to replace the drive.

try another drive and compare your results..

Sep 3, 2023 11:45 AM in response to leroydouglas

Thanks for your answer!

However, I do not get any of these four messages, but explicitly the error message "Failed to create volume info from disk ' '/System/Volumes/Data/home'', error: missingURLForRemounting".

As far as I can interpret from this error message, some path is missing. 

I would have to buy a new external hard drive, so first I want to make sure it's not something else. Based on my error message, can you say for sure that the problem must be with the physical hard drive and not with the software?

Sep 12, 2023 12:55 AM in response to flashcode

I also had to buy a new external hard disk. After that it worked again. Apparently there is a connection with the physical disk.

After consulting with Apple support, the "<TMDisk: 0x16281d800>" part of the error message could indicate the problem with the physical disk. All the rest with the path to this folder is, as it looks, not relevant.

My Time Machine backup is stuck

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.