You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't Get Microsoft OneDrive icon to show in the Menu Bar

I have used OneDrive for years without any problems. The icon would always show in the Menu Bar. Now it has ceased appearing in the Menu Bar, but I'm not sure how to reverse this procedure. Drag and drop does not work.

MacBook Air, macOS 13.5

Posted on Sep 2, 2023 6:53 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 3, 2023 7:05 AM

I have had the OneDrive icon open for years on both the Dock and the Menu Bar. If I open OneDrive from the Dock, or from Applications, it goes immediately to the folder settings, and does not give one a menu for accessing Preferences, etc.

10 replies

Nov 20, 2023 9:39 AM in response to Colonel_Biggs

Colonel_Biggs Said:

"Can't Get Microsoft OneDrive icon to show in the Menu Bar: The problem was a function of the number of items shown on the Menu Bar. By going to Settings and reducing the number of icons shown (max is 15, I believe), the icon automatically appeared in the Menu Bar. Thanks for your response, regardless.

———-

Excellent job troubleshooting!

Can you provide the steps on fixing this?

Doing so will help many for certain —including MelonMink.

Sep 2, 2023 8:56 PM in response to Colonel_Biggs

Colonel_Biggs Said:

"Can't Get Microsoft OneDrive icon to show in the Menu Bar: I have used OneDrive for years without any problems. The icon would always show in the Menu Bar. Now it has ceased appearing in the Menu Bar, but I'm not sure how to reverse this procedure. Drag and drop does not work."

-------

Unhide the Dock Icon:

1. Open: OneDrive
  2. Click: OneDrive menu
  3. Select: Preferences
  4. Uncheck "Hide Dock icon"

Jul 15, 2024 11:30 AM in response to Colonel_Biggs

The issue with Microsoft OneDrive, not showing on the Menu bar, is a issue with the Menu bar having too many icons to show and so icons that overflow the Menu bar appear to be missing and there doesn't seem to be a way to expand or organize them.

To fix this issue and see the OneDrive icon again, go to [System Settings>Control Center] and from here...

1. Change the "Show in Menu Bar" items to "Don't Show in Menu Bar"
  2. Look for "Green" sliders that say "Show in Menu Bar" and disable them so the slider is "Gray"

This will clear out all the system icons taking up space in the Menu bar leaving the only items in the Menu bar area from 3rd party applications like OneDrive.

Now you can right-click on the OneDrive icon in the Menu bar as normal and adjust it's Preferences.

Finally it's safe to start enabling system icons again by changing them back to "Show in Menu Bar" but do this one at a time until you see the OneDrive icon disappear, this will let you know how many of them can be on without hiding the OneDrive icon again.

Sep 3, 2023 10:14 AM in response to Colonel_Biggs

Colonel_Biggs Said:

"Can't Get Microsoft OneDrive icon to show in the Menu Bar: I have had the OneDrive icon open for years on both the Dock and the Menu Bar. If I open OneDrive from the Dock, or from Applications, it goes immediately to the folder settings, and does not give one a menu for accessing Preferences, etc.

———-

Getting One Note to Operate as it Should:

A. Single-Out this User:

See what happens when you crate a new user. Do you still get this error? If so, it is the software giving you the issue. If not, then it is the user giving you the issue.

B. Reinstall MS Office Anew:

Contact Microsoft: They are the developer of the software. Start with a Login Here:  Microsoft Contact Us Virtual Agent - Microsoft Support. Perform a chat session with Microsoft using a computer, as it would be more user-friendly doing so. Request a new license key. You’d uninstall MS Office (using an uninstaller) > Restart the Mac > Power on > log in as the same user > install MS Office (with the new key) > try once more.

Nov 13, 2023 7:07 AM in response to csyost2023

Colonel_Biggs Said:

"Can't Get Microsoft OneDrive icon to show in the Menu Bar: IThis doesn't work. I already have that ‘Hide Dock Icon’ box unchecked. Any other suggestions, anyone?

———-

Getting One Note to Operate as it Should:

A. Did you chat with Microsoft?

It may be a bug from within the software.

B. Single-Out this User:

For troubleshooting purposes, create a new user, and then see if you still get the error. If not, then it is an issue with the current user. If so, then it is an issue with the current user, and you likely need to reinstall the macOS.

Can't Get Microsoft OneDrive icon to show in the Menu Bar

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.