Where can I get a copy of MacOS Monterey 12.6.8 that is from Apple? I've downloaded a .pkg copy from a website on the Internet but haven't installed it yet. Is it safe? I'd prefer to download a copy from Apple but I don't know where to find it.

I want to do a clean install onto my iMac HDD by first putting Monterey 12.6.8 onto an APFS (Encrypted) formatted USB SSD drive. Then, after I've wiped my HDD, I want to install the bootable OS from the SSD drive to my iMac (late 2015, 27" desktop) HDD.

The .pkg does not have a lock or any kind of authentication symbol in the upper right hand corner.

Is it safe to install? If not, where can I download a copy of this OS software from Apple?

iMac 27″, macOS 12.6

Posted on Sep 3, 2023 12:35 AM

3 replies

Where can I get a copy of MacOS Monterey 12.6.8 that is from Apple? I've downloaded a .pkg copy from a website on the Internet but haven't installed it yet. Is it safe? I'd prefer to download a copy from Apple but I don't know where to find it.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.