On my 10th gen iPad, my microphone works while video recording but not when using the voice message app or FaceTime. Help!

I cannot use FaceTime or voice message apps because microphones don’t seem to work. However, when I record a video using the camera, sound is recorded. Why?

iPad

Posted on Sep 3, 2023 7:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 3, 2023 11:58 PM

Hi Hobear,

welcome to the Apple (user-to-user) Community!

Re: "I cannot use FaceTime or voice message apps because microphones don’t seem to work".

"works while video recording"

You could try re-starting your iPad (deletes temporary files, re-establishes connections etc., may restore order)

Restart your iPad - Apple Support

If you still need help with the microphones:

If the microphones on your iPad aren't working - Apple Support

says:

"Clear the microphones

1. Remove any screen protectors, films, or cases from your iPad.
  2. Clear any debris from the openings of your iPad.

and

If your iPad has a screen protector, make sure that the screen protector has an opening over the front microphone.

(There are more tips in the above article, and a link to contact Apple Support about the microphones if needed.)

Re: FaceTime:

You can check if the sound needs to be turned on in FaceTime:

How to: Change FaceTime audio settings on iPad - Apple Support

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Re: Voice Message app:

Wondering what happens when you try to make a Voice recording.

You could check the volume is not set too low

You can see if the orange dot appears when you try making a recording in Voice Messages on your iPad:

Eg: Make a recording in Voice Memos on iPad - Apple Support

says:

Note: "For your privacy, when you use Voice Memos to make recordings,

an orange dot appears at the top of your screen to indicate your microphone is in use".

What to do:If an app on your iPhone or iPad stops responding, closes unexpectedly, or won’t open - Apple Support

If needed:

iPad Support website (info. / support / contact (online chat / phone / email etc)

There is a "Get Support" link (or an app) at the bottom of their webpage (link below)

iPad - Official Apple Support

All the best :-)

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 3, 2023 11:58 PM in response to Hobear

Hi Hobear,

welcome to the Apple (user-to-user) Community!

Re: "I cannot use FaceTime or voice message apps because microphones don’t seem to work".

"works while video recording"

You could try re-starting your iPad (deletes temporary files, re-establishes connections etc., may restore order)

Restart your iPad - Apple Support

If you still need help with the microphones:

If the microphones on your iPad aren't working - Apple Support

says:

"Clear the microphones

1. Remove any screen protectors, films, or cases from your iPad.
  2. Clear any debris from the openings of your iPad.

and

If your iPad has a screen protector, make sure that the screen protector has an opening over the front microphone.

(There are more tips in the above article, and a link to contact Apple Support about the microphones if needed.)

Re: FaceTime:

You can check if the sound needs to be turned on in FaceTime:

How to: Change FaceTime audio settings on iPad - Apple Support

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Re: Voice Message app:

Wondering what happens when you try to make a Voice recording.

You could check the volume is not set too low

You can see if the orange dot appears when you try making a recording in Voice Messages on your iPad:

Eg: Make a recording in Voice Memos on iPad - Apple Support

says:

Note: "For your privacy, when you use Voice Memos to make recordings,

an orange dot appears at the top of your screen to indicate your microphone is in use".

What to do:If an app on your iPhone or iPad stops responding, closes unexpectedly, or won’t open - Apple Support

If needed:

iPad Support website (info. / support / contact (online chat / phone / email etc)

There is a "Get Support" link (or an app) at the bottom of their webpage (link below)

iPad - Official Apple Support

All the best :-)

On my 10th gen iPad, my microphone works while video recording but not when using the voice message app or FaceTime. Help!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.