Viewing old files on a redundant Apple Time Capsule

As I understood Apple were no longer going to support their 2T Time Capsule connecting with WiFi. I also have issues with Google Mesh Wifi, so don't want to add to recent problems. Can I therefore, by turning off its wifi Ethernet feed to my Router, simply directly connect the Time Capsule by the ethernet cable in order to check old Back-up files on my M1 Mac Desktop, running current version of Ventura?

iMac 24″

Posted on Sep 3, 2023 12:14 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 4, 2023 12:33 PM

I now gather that my 2T Time Machine should be ethernet connected to my main No1 Google Router.

That is correct. Connect from one of the LAN <--> ports on the router to the WAN "O" port on the Time Capsule.

Similar questions

3 replies

Sep 3, 2023 4:52 PM in response to Harri Flex

As I understood Apple were no longer going to support their 2T Time Capsule connecting with WiFi.

Apple has always supported the Time Capsule connecting with Wi-Fi......IF.....the Time Capsule connects to the Wi-Fi signal of another Apple AirPort router......an AirPort Extreme, AirPort Express, or another AirPort Time Capsule.

But, it has been 12+ years since the Time Capsule could connect using Wi-Fi to a 3rd party Wi-Fi router.

Can I therefore, by turning off its wifi Ethernet feed to my Router, simply directly connect the Time Capsule by the ethernet cable in order to check old Back-up files on my M1 Mac Desktop, running current version of Ventura?

Wi-Fi Ethernet feed? I do not understand what this means.

simply directly connect the Time Capsule by the ethernet cable in order to check old Back-up files on my M1 Mac Desktop, running current version of Ventura?

Possibly, but you will have to disable the Wi-Fi on the Mac to do this.

Keep in mind though, the M1 Mac Desktop will only be able to "read" backups that it has made to the Time Capsule. Using Time Machine, the M1 Mac will not be able to "see" or "read" backups that were made to the Time Capsule using another Mac.

Sep 4, 2023 11:43 AM in response to Bob Timmons

Thanks Bob,

My issue was a very poor wifi signal, that has now been resolved by adding three Google Mesh Wifi Extenders throughout my small single storey property. I have disabled the Wifi signal of the Original ISP Router. Connected the Ethernet cable and given the Status to the Google Mesh. Sadly I was having great issues with the 2 Google Security cameras and their Software.

My 2013 Mac Desktop had issues so has been replaced with the latest M1 24". Because I had questionable Software problems, I completed a re-install of certain Files. Sadly as a retired Photographer/Film-maker my stills and video archive were considerable. The initial iPhoto Library was corrupted, so I transferred to Aperture, then Lightroom Creative Cloud. It has all been a disaster as even the newer Apple Photos loses its data.

I now gather that my 2T Time Machine should be ethernet connected to my main No1 Google Router. So I hope this will now resolve the mix of the two Wifi signals. Fingers crossed. I have also had to add a Belkin Multi-port adapter, as Apple in their wisdom has decided to reduce and change the standard of input/output Ports & leads. Oh the joy of technology.

Viewing old files on a redundant Apple Time Capsule

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.