Newsroom Update

The redesigned iPad Air and new iPad Pro with Apple silicon are now available. Learn more >

Only Apple Pencil or finger drawing is available for new Notes on iPad

Only Apple Pencil or finger drawing is available for new notes. No keyboard.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPod, iOS 9

Posted on Sep 3, 2023 1:11 PM

13 replies

Sep 5, 2023 8:01 AM in response to donk12

Acknowledging that you may have already started with a forced-restart of your iPad - if the problem persists after performing the restart, it may be necessary to reset your iPad settings. While this reset will not cause any loss of data, as a precaution, it is always wise to ensure that you have a current iCloud or iTunes backup before performing the reset:

How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

When you are happy to proceed, you can perform the reset from iPad settings:

Settings > General > Transfer or Reset iPad > Reset > Reset All Settings

If the problem still doesn’t clear, the next step is to reset the iPad to factory settings:

Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod to factory settings - Apple Support

Otherwise, you would be best advised to seek assistance directly from Apple Support. You can contact the Support Team using the Support link at top-right or bottom-left of this page. Alternatively and perhaps easier, you can initiate and manage your support cases using the excellent Apple Support App. If not already installed on your iPad, the App can be downloaded from the App Store:

https://apps.apple.com/app/apple-support/id1130498044

Sep 5, 2023 12:36 PM in response to donk12

The Apple Support Community is a user-to-user technical forum. Contributors here are all end-users, just like you.

Other than the site Moderators, Apple neither monitors nor participates within the Support Community. As such, comments that you make here will likely miss the intended audience.

If you wish to offer feedback, Apple invite submission of constructive comments, feature requests and bug reports via its Product Feedback portal. For iPad and iPadOS:

Feedback - iPad - Apple

As for advice that has been offered, nothing here is 'extreme' in the slightest - but offers a structured route to attempting to resolve the problem of which you complain.

Sep 5, 2023 11:23 AM in response to donk12

Not going to perform extreme methods that have no guarantee of fixing a problem. Plus it won’t work. The problem is the Apple Notes app. My ipad doesn’t need fixing, resets, restarts, or settings changes. The problem is the Apple Notes app programming. Apple, like Google, never admits it’s their problem. The solution is simple, Apple has to update notes programming to allow onscreen keyboard. Until they do I’ll just use a 3rd party notes app. Apple support was useless.

I wish tech companies would listen to customers and stop wasting our time with needless, useless, tech support that wastes hours of time and solves nothing. THE PROBLEM WITH APPLE NOTES IS APPLE’S FAILURE TO CODE CORRECTLY. Stop blaming the customer.

Sep 5, 2023 11:32 AM in response to donk12

donk12 wrote:

Not going to perform extreme methods that have no guarantee of fixing a problem. Plus it won’t work.

Are you clairvoyant? You know for a fact that it won’t work?

The problem is the Apple Notes app.

I have two iPads and neither experiences the problem that you are having.

My ipad doesn’t need fixing, resets, restarts, or settings changes. The problem is the Apple Notes app programming. Apple, like Google, never admits it’s their problem. The solution is simple, Apple has to update notes programming to allow onscreen keyboard.

There is no problem for Apple to fix.

Until they do I’ll just use a 3rd party notes app. Apple support was useless.

You are fee to use the app that best suits your needs.

I wish tech companies would listen to customers and stop wasting our time with needless, useless, tech support that wastes hours of time and solves nothing. THE PROBLEM WITH APPLE NOTES IS APPLE’S FAILURE TO CODE CORRECTLY. Stop blaming the customer.

Who is blaming the customer?

Sep 5, 2023 1:51 PM in response to donk12

Thanks for trying to help. I already spent 3 hours with Apple Support. Their only responses were Restart, Reset, and let’s try something else. The let’s try something else wasted 2:45 of my time and we’re just shots in the dark.

I just thought there maybe someone out there who was familiar with the problem. I was wrong.

Only Apple Pencil or finger drawing is available for new Notes on iPad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.