Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Why are my files still stored locally after I put them on ICloud?

I got an ICloud subsciption so I can save my files on the cloud to relieve the storage on my Macbook but now it's still on my computer?

What do I have to do to get them off my device?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 12.5

Posted on Sep 3, 2023 1:46 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 3, 2023 1:49 PM

iCloud is syncing storage. Basically something on iCloud puts it on all other devices at the same time. It isn't like a external hard drive. iCloud can save some space, but by optimizing.

Click on this link to "Learn the difference between your device and iCloud storage, ways to manage your space, and where to buy more if you run out." --> What's the difference between device storage and iCloud storage? - Apple Support

Take-away:

1. Storage on a device itself is fixed and cannot be upgraded. You have to change your present device for one with more capacity.

2. iCloud storage is on Apple's main computers. It is not a like a normal storage hard drive but by using optimization settings on your device it can help free up device storage. Lesser used items and larger file versions can be stored in ICloud and you can get access while connected to the Internet. It does not turn a 64 GB storage device into a 64 (or whatever) + 50/200/2TB GB device but if you have a lot of things that aren't being used much, or you don't mind only having lesser quality photos on your device it can free up extra space so you can make the best of the GB you do have on the device itself.

How to free up storage space on your Mac - Free up storage space on your Mac - Apple Support

Optimized Storage [macOS Sierra or later] helps you save storage space space by storing your content in iCloud and making it available on demand:

- When storage space is needed, files, photos, movies, email attachments, and other files that you seldom use are stored in iCloud automatically.

- Each file stays right where you last saved it, and downloads when you open it.

- Files that you’ve used recently remain on your Mac, along with optimized versions of your photos.

Use iCloud Photos to store photos in iCloud - Apple Support

Optimize Mac Storage: Stores smaller versions of your photos on your Mac when storage space is limited, and keeps the original, full-size photos in iCloud. Choose this option to conserve space on your Mac. To restore the originals to your Mac, just select “Download Originals to this Mac.”

See used and available storage space on your Mac

System Information User Guide for Mac - Apple Support

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 3, 2023 1:49 PM in response to reni666

iCloud is syncing storage. Basically something on iCloud puts it on all other devices at the same time. It isn't like a external hard drive. iCloud can save some space, but by optimizing.

Click on this link to "Learn the difference between your device and iCloud storage, ways to manage your space, and where to buy more if you run out." --> What's the difference between device storage and iCloud storage? - Apple Support

Take-away:

1. Storage on a device itself is fixed and cannot be upgraded. You have to change your present device for one with more capacity.

2. iCloud storage is on Apple's main computers. It is not a like a normal storage hard drive but by using optimization settings on your device it can help free up device storage. Lesser used items and larger file versions can be stored in ICloud and you can get access while connected to the Internet. It does not turn a 64 GB storage device into a 64 (or whatever) + 50/200/2TB GB device but if you have a lot of things that aren't being used much, or you don't mind only having lesser quality photos on your device it can free up extra space so you can make the best of the GB you do have on the device itself.

How to free up storage space on your Mac - Free up storage space on your Mac - Apple Support

Optimized Storage [macOS Sierra or later] helps you save storage space space by storing your content in iCloud and making it available on demand:

- When storage space is needed, files, photos, movies, email attachments, and other files that you seldom use are stored in iCloud automatically.

- Each file stays right where you last saved it, and downloads when you open it.

- Files that you’ve used recently remain on your Mac, along with optimized versions of your photos.

Use iCloud Photos to store photos in iCloud - Apple Support

Optimize Mac Storage: Stores smaller versions of your photos on your Mac when storage space is limited, and keeps the original, full-size photos in iCloud. Choose this option to conserve space on your Mac. To restore the originals to your Mac, just select “Download Originals to this Mac.”

See used and available storage space on your Mac

System Information User Guide for Mac - Apple Support

Dec 5, 2023 7:36 PM in response to reni666

It's only a waste if you do not understand what it does and does not do. You need to utilize what is is designed to do and find supplemental services to do what it doesn't do. It is not an external hard drive for archiving. It is good for storing files you may wish to get access to from anywhere and making sure that your devices are backed up when not using a desktop computer with access to external storage.

Why are my files still stored locally after I put them on ICloud?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.