I moved my photo library to my Seagate hard drive. Is it possible to move it back to my MacBook?

I was unable to move new imports to the Photo Library. I moved the Photo Library to my seagate so photos would be backed up. I read on this site to do this if I wanted to try Photo Library Repair. When I tried to open Photos on my MacBook, it said to connect the Seagate. So does this mean that every time I want to use my Photos app, I have to attach the Seagate? I do not want to lose any of my photos.

MacBook Pro 13″

Posted on Sep 4, 2023 10:12 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 4, 2023 10:29 AM

SusieMacBook wrote:

I was unable to move new imports to the Photo Library. I moved the Photo Library to my seagate so photos would be backed up. I read on this site to do this if I wanted to try Photo Library Repair. When I tried to open Photos on my MacBook, it said to connect the Seagate. #1 - So does this mean that every time I want to use my Photos app, I have to attach the Seagate? I do not want to lose any of my photos.

#1 - YES: if the library is on the Seagate the drive must be connected in order for you to be able to open and use the library. Also the drive MUST BE formatted either APFS for SSDs or OS X Extended (journaled) for HDDs.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 4, 2023 10:29 AM in response to SusieMacBook

SusieMacBook wrote:

I was unable to move new imports to the Photo Library. I moved the Photo Library to my seagate so photos would be backed up. I read on this site to do this if I wanted to try Photo Library Repair. When I tried to open Photos on my MacBook, it said to connect the Seagate. #1 - So does this mean that every time I want to use my Photos app, I have to attach the Seagate? I do not want to lose any of my photos.

#1 - YES: if the library is on the Seagate the drive must be connected in order for you to be able to open and use the library. Also the drive MUST BE formatted either APFS for SSDs or OS X Extended (journaled) for HDDs.

I moved my photo library to my Seagate hard drive. Is it possible to move it back to my MacBook?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.