NOT Symbol on MacBook Pro 2015 Reboot

I installed my old Apple-branded 250GB HD into my MacBook Pro 15 (2015) and rebooted.

It displayed a NOT symbol.

I used command-R to enter recovery mode and opened Disk Utilities, intending to run Fist Aid.

I selected each item in the righthand pane in order, from the bottom to the top and ran Fist Aid.

It finished in 2 seconds with no errors.

I noticed that the items in the righthand pane looked odd

It has ...

Internal > APPLE SSD SM0256G Media (251 GB), with nothing beneath it

Disk Images > Apple Disk Image Media (2.15GB) > OS X Base System (2.01 GB)

I'm ok reformatting and re-installing Big Sur or Monterey (it won't take anything higher than that)

However, I'm not really sure which one the select and whether its ready to do that properly (not missing something)

Can someone point me in the right direction on how to proceed?

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 11.7

Posted on Sep 4, 2023 11:11 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 4, 2023 11:47 AM

Can you post a screenshot of Disk Utility? You might have to take a picture with a camera as I'm not sure if you can screenshot from recovery. Make sure you have chosen Show All Devices from the View popup menu, but if you see the drive, it is likely already set.

Is this what you saw: If your Mac starts up to a circle with a line through it - Apple Support

It sounds like your entire startup drive is erased. Could be some sort of failure in the drive.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 4, 2023 11:47 AM in response to leroymc2

Can you post a screenshot of Disk Utility? You might have to take a picture with a camera as I'm not sure if you can screenshot from recovery. Make sure you have chosen Show All Devices from the View popup menu, but if you see the drive, it is likely already set.

Is this what you saw: If your Mac starts up to a circle with a line through it - Apple Support

It sounds like your entire startup drive is erased. Could be some sort of failure in the drive.

NOT Symbol on MacBook Pro 2015 Reboot

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.