how do i reset my ipad when the home button is not working

my ipad got disabled because i forgot the passcode and keyed in the wrong passcode severally. is there a way to reset it when the home button is not working. its an iphone 10.

iPad, iOS 10

Posted on Sep 4, 2023 12:25 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 4, 2023 5:44 PM

It is a common misconception that an iPad or iPhone can remain fully functional with damaged or defective physical buttons. 

Whilst some functions (such as Shut Down) can be accessed from iPad settings - and Accessibility features (such as Assistive Touch) can be used to augment the User Interface - these features cannot be used as a substitute for physical button sequences that must be used to trigger system recovery actions. Sooner or later you will encounter a situation from which you cannot recover.

Until repaired, you will not be able to resolve a locked-out (disabled) iPad - or reset a forgotten device passcode.

If your iPad is within its Warranty period, you would be well advised to have the fault repaired while you have opportunity to do so. Unless you have benefit of an active AppleCare+ plan (this being an insurance product), out of warranty repairs are expensive - typically c.60% of the iPad’s original cost.

To arrange repair, you can either visit the Genius Bar at your local Apple Store or Apple Authorised Service Provider (AASP) - or use Apple’s mail-in repair service:

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

iPad Repair & Service - Apple Support

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 4, 2023 5:44 PM in response to Rozie2023

It is a common misconception that an iPad or iPhone can remain fully functional with damaged or defective physical buttons. 

Whilst some functions (such as Shut Down) can be accessed from iPad settings - and Accessibility features (such as Assistive Touch) can be used to augment the User Interface - these features cannot be used as a substitute for physical button sequences that must be used to trigger system recovery actions. Sooner or later you will encounter a situation from which you cannot recover.

Until repaired, you will not be able to resolve a locked-out (disabled) iPad - or reset a forgotten device passcode.

If your iPad is within its Warranty period, you would be well advised to have the fault repaired while you have opportunity to do so. Unless you have benefit of an active AppleCare+ plan (this being an insurance product), out of warranty repairs are expensive - typically c.60% of the iPad’s original cost.

To arrange repair, you can either visit the Genius Bar at your local Apple Store or Apple Authorised Service Provider (AASP) - or use Apple’s mail-in repair service:

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

iPad Repair & Service - Apple Support

how do i reset my ipad when the home button is not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.