How to reset the passcode on iPhone 8

I forgot the passcode for my phone and do not want to reset the device but only the passcode!

iPhone 8 Plus

Posted on Sep 4, 2023 2:27 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 4, 2023 2:29 PM

There is no option to do that. See the following for available options.

There is an Apple article that explains what to do if you have forgotten an iPhone or iPad passcode. Click on the following link: If you see an iPhone or iPad unavailable message or Security Lockout screen - Apple Support

If that is not an option, you will need to use a computer. See: If you forgot your iPhone passcode - Apple Support

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 4, 2023 2:29 PM in response to airpodstroubleshoot

There is no option to do that. See the following for available options.

There is an Apple article that explains what to do if you have forgotten an iPhone or iPad passcode. Click on the following link: If you see an iPhone or iPad unavailable message or Security Lockout screen - Apple Support

If that is not an option, you will need to use a computer. See: If you forgot your iPhone passcode - Apple Support

Sep 4, 2023 2:32 PM in response to airpodstroubleshoot

Ah, forgot your iPhone passcode, huh? Happens to the best of us. It's like forgetting where you parked but with more panic and self-judgment involved. So, here's the bad news: you'll have to erase your iPhone, which deletes all your data and settings. Yup, say goodbye to those 5,000 selfies and the endless string of memes. Now, the good news: you can restore your data if you've been a good digital citizen and backed up your iPhone. If you didn't... well, I don't even know what to say. You've been living on the edge, my friend.

Here's the rundown:

### Via iTunes (for those who love a classic)

1. **Connect** the iPhone to a computer with iTunes installed. Ah, iTunes, Apple's old bloatware darling.

2. **Open iTunes**. If iTunes asks you for a password, use another computer you’ve synchronized with, or recovery mode (I'll get to that).

3. **Wait** for iTunes to sync your device and make a backup. If it doesn't, select your device's icon in the top left menu and press “Back Up Now.”

4. After the synchronization and backup have finished, press **“Restore iPhone…”**.

5. When you get to the Set Up screen while restoring your iOS device, press the **“Restore from iTunes backup”** option.

6. Select your device in iTunes and choose the **most relevant backup**.

### Via iCloud (for the cloud lovers)

1. **Go** to iCloud.com and log in with your Apple ID.

2. Click on **“All Devices”** at the top, and then select your iPhone.

3. Click **“Erase iPhone”**. This will remotely wipe your device.

4. Now, you can either **set it up as a new iPhone** or **restore it from a backup**.

### Via Recovery Mode (for the desperate)

1. **Connect** your iOS device to your computer and open iTunes. If you don't have a computer, you might have to beg, borrow, or... just find one, okay?

2. While your device is connected, **force restart** it:

- On an iPhone 8 or later: Press and quickly release the Volume Up button. Press and quickly release the Volume Down button. Then, press and hold the Side button until you see the recovery mode screen.

3. Choose **“Restore”** in the iTunes dialog that pops up.

4. **Set up your device**.

So there you go. You've got options. Choose your adventure and may the odds be ever in your favor.

How to reset the passcode on iPhone 8

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.