Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

software update does not load

My MacBook is saying it is requiring an "update", when I click the "search for updates" button it just loads and never actually gives the option to update..

MacBook Pro 13″

Posted on Sep 5, 2023 7:51 AM

2 replies

Sep 5, 2023 9:11 AM in response to Evelyn_06

Is the example image in this Apple article what you see?:

If your Mac says that a software update is required to connect to iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

If so, Grants instructional correct. It usually only appears if you are running macOS 10.14 Mojave or older and are managing your iOS device with iTunes. The article fails to make clear how the update works.

The small, quick download is a patch for iTunes only to make it compatible with newer iOS version. It will NOT change your macOS version. I've applied it several times to two pre-Catalina Macs with zero susses or changes to my macOS versions.

For Catalina 10.15 and later, iOS devices are managed through the Finder, appearing in the Finder sidebar in the was way external drives appear.

software update does not load

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.