Macbook restarted/crashed first time turning it on

Hello,

The first time I opened my new macbook after it showed the loading apple screen it shut off and turned itself back on. A window came up saying the computer restarted for an unknown reason. I started taking the first steps to setting it up and the screen went black - the computer was not turned off, just a black screen. I held down the power button and started from scratch.

After that everything went smoothly and it has been running without any problems since but what could this mean? A concern? A reason to bring it back and swap with another mac?

Thank you!

Posted on Sep 5, 2023 9:03 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 5, 2023 6:27 PM

Did you happen to notice if the Battery charge level was low at the time? I have seen this happen to Intel Macs when powering them on when the battery charge is at 0% or 1%. The battery can charge very quickly (to 10%) just for the time it takes to boot & log in, especially during system setup.

If you received your laptop with the battery charge level at 0%, then that can be a problem if the laptop was stored like that before you received it as it could have damaged the battery (may not be able to tell if the battery has been damaged). This is more likely to occur when purchasing from third party resellers, but it could possibly occur if it is a model less popular which had to sit a while after manufacture.

At the very least Option-click the battery icon on the menu bar to check the Battery's condition. If the condition is "Normal", there will not be any condition listed. If you see "Service Recommended" condition, then you need to get the Battery replaced by Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider if you are beyond the 14 day return window.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 5, 2023 6:27 PM in response to jl1997

Did you happen to notice if the Battery charge level was low at the time? I have seen this happen to Intel Macs when powering them on when the battery charge is at 0% or 1%. The battery can charge very quickly (to 10%) just for the time it takes to boot & log in, especially during system setup.

If you received your laptop with the battery charge level at 0%, then that can be a problem if the laptop was stored like that before you received it as it could have damaged the battery (may not be able to tell if the battery has been damaged). This is more likely to occur when purchasing from third party resellers, but it could possibly occur if it is a model less popular which had to sit a while after manufacture.

At the very least Option-click the battery icon on the menu bar to check the Battery's condition. If the condition is "Normal", there will not be any condition listed. If you see "Service Recommended" condition, then you need to get the Battery replaced by Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider if you are beyond the 14 day return window.

Sep 5, 2023 9:42 AM in response to jl1997

Could easily be a one off situation. They are not all that uncommon with complicated electronics.

Keep in mind, you have 14 days to return a new Mac to Apple for a refund no questions asked. After that you rely on your one year warranty and the extended warranty if you chose to buy it.

Macbook restarted/crashed first time turning it on

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.