Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Cannot install MacOS on a Macbook Pro 15" 2018

I have a Macbook Pro 15" 2018, and I cannot install MacOS. It was initially running MacOS Monterey before I wiped it recently. After wiping, I realized it had an activation lock on it, so I could get that removed. When I attempted to install MacOS from recovery, it only gave me the option for macOS High Sierra. Which doesn't seem to have any online servers to download from, and so it can't reinstall the OS.

I decided I would try a USB installation since that didn't work. But when I try to install Monterey via a USB, it tells me that the security options are not set to allow booting from a USB.

I went to change those settings so that I could install it via a USB drive, but it asked me for an admin password. The issue is that there is no admin password since there is no OS to manage a user account. So, I was not able to boot to the USB to install.

After scrounging the web for answers, I got the installer to run via terminal when in recovery mode. This did not work either, as it wanted the admin password again.

I thought I could try using target disk mode, but it seems that is not supported. Which means I'm out of options for installing an OS on this Macbook. I would appreciate it if anyone knows how I can get any OS installed on this computer to at least allow me to create an admin account or upgrade.

MacBook Pro (2017 – 2020)

Posted on Sep 5, 2023 2:34 PM

Similar questions

2 replies

Cannot install MacOS on a Macbook Pro 15" 2018

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.