My iPad safari tabs disappeared

I find a lot of people are asking this question but I can NOT find anyone who has solved the problem yet.

Can you help me get them back? I have my setting as “delete tabs manually.” They just magically disappeared.

Posted on Sep 5, 2023 4:03 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 5, 2023 4:14 PM

Are you certain that you closed all your tabs - and have not, perhaps, opened a new Safari Window? Each Safari Window has its own self-contained set of open tabs.

When you open Safari, you may see the Shelf at the bottom of the screen - within which you will see each of your open Safari Windows; simply tap the thumbnail corresponding with the Safari Window (with associated tabs) that you wish to view.

If you closed a Safari Window - and all associated tabs - you can reopen a Recently Closed Window for a limited period of time…

Starting from a Home Screen, assuming that Safari is visible in the Dock, touch-and-hold (i.e., long touch) the Safari icon; an Action Menu will appear. 

From the menu, select Show All Windows; you will now see a screen that closely resembles the Task Switcher - but you will only see preview windows for your open Safari Windows. At top-right (or top-left for iPadOS16) you will see the Reopen Closed Window(s) button.

You should note that the Reopen Closed Window(s) button allows you to reopen a window for a limited period of time. If left too long, you may have lost the opportunity to recover the closed window - and with it the tabs and related tab history.

If you have accidentally closed all you your open tabs associated with a Safari Window, this User Tip may be helpful in recovering your tabs. While I have not [yet] updated the document to reflect changes in iPadOS15/16 (having been written for an earlier version of iPadOS), much of it is still relevant - as are the outlined strategies:

iPadOS - Safari - Lost Windows, Lost Tabs… - Apple Community

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 5, 2023 4:14 PM in response to PamOPFL2

Are you certain that you closed all your tabs - and have not, perhaps, opened a new Safari Window? Each Safari Window has its own self-contained set of open tabs.

When you open Safari, you may see the Shelf at the bottom of the screen - within which you will see each of your open Safari Windows; simply tap the thumbnail corresponding with the Safari Window (with associated tabs) that you wish to view.

If you closed a Safari Window - and all associated tabs - you can reopen a Recently Closed Window for a limited period of time…

Starting from a Home Screen, assuming that Safari is visible in the Dock, touch-and-hold (i.e., long touch) the Safari icon; an Action Menu will appear. 

From the menu, select Show All Windows; you will now see a screen that closely resembles the Task Switcher - but you will only see preview windows for your open Safari Windows. At top-right (or top-left for iPadOS16) you will see the Reopen Closed Window(s) button.

You should note that the Reopen Closed Window(s) button allows you to reopen a window for a limited period of time. If left too long, you may have lost the opportunity to recover the closed window - and with it the tabs and related tab history.

If you have accidentally closed all you your open tabs associated with a Safari Window, this User Tip may be helpful in recovering your tabs. While I have not [yet] updated the document to reflect changes in iPadOS15/16 (having been written for an earlier version of iPadOS), much of it is still relevant - as are the outlined strategies:

iPadOS - Safari - Lost Windows, Lost Tabs… - Apple Community

My iPad safari tabs disappeared

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.