Fitness App over estimating number of steps

I’m walking 10,000 steps a day. I’m averaging about 12,000 per day. This morning’s walk was 9,500. I walked to the post office, which is 1 km in total, in order to get the 10,000. Suddenly I have 20,000 steps after my walk to the Post Office!

It has been fairly accurate over the month I’ve been doing this. When I used to use it a couple of years ago it seemed to double the steps. I had (and have) no other app installed for fitness except for Health and Fitness. I don’t have an Apple Watch.

What is going on? Can this be fixed or do I have to delete it again and buy an old fashioned predometre?

iPhone 14 Pro, iOS 16

Posted on Sep 5, 2023 4:16 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 6, 2023 1:36 AM

It seems like there might be an issue with the step count tracking on your iPhone 14 Pro. A sudden jump from 9,500 steps to 20,000 steps after walking only 1 km is not normal. Here are some steps you can take to address this issue:

1. Sometimes, minor glitches can be resolved by simply restarting your iPhone. Press and hold the power button until the slider appears, then slide it to turn off your device. After a few seconds, turn it back on.
  2. Make sure your iPhone's operating system (iOS) is up to date. Software updates often include bug fixes and improvements. To check for updates, go to Settings > General > Software Update.
  3. Ensure that the Motion & Fitness settings on your iPhone are correctly configured. Go to Settings > Privacy > Motion & Fitness and make sure that both "Fitness Tracking" and "Health" are turned on.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 6, 2023 1:36 AM in response to gaylyn195

It seems like there might be an issue with the step count tracking on your iPhone 14 Pro. A sudden jump from 9,500 steps to 20,000 steps after walking only 1 km is not normal. Here are some steps you can take to address this issue:

1. Sometimes, minor glitches can be resolved by simply restarting your iPhone. Press and hold the power button until the slider appears, then slide it to turn off your device. After a few seconds, turn it back on.
  2. Make sure your iPhone's operating system (iOS) is up to date. Software updates often include bug fixes and improvements. To check for updates, go to Settings > General > Software Update.
  3. Ensure that the Motion & Fitness settings on your iPhone are correctly configured. Go to Settings > Privacy > Motion & Fitness and make sure that both "Fitness Tracking" and "Health" are turned on.

Fitness App over estimating number of steps

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.