Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Mac OS Mail - Cannot send the message using the server iCloud

I'm unable to send emails from my iCloud account though receive them fine.

When sending a message I get a dialogue box titled "Cannot send the message using the server iCloud" with the following:

---

Verify that you have addressed this message correctly. Check your SMTP server settings in Mail preferences and verify any advanced settings with your system administrator.

The server response was: <unknown[58.174.60.140]>: Client host rejected: Access denied

Select a different outgoing mail server from the list below or click Try Later to leave the message in your Outbox until it can be sent.

---

I get the option to select a different outgoing server, 1 is iCloud and although it shows it can't be selected, the other is my internet providers server and while this lets the email send the message gets quarantined by their mail systems.

I've been through the support articles but none have been able to help so any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

iMac Pro, macOS 13.4

Posted on Sep 6, 2023 12:03 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 6, 2023 6:21 AM

You can use this link Mail – Official Apple Support to find your mail settings .

It depends which mail services you are using , for gmail accounts that are configured with iCloud account , you don't need to add settings they are by default .

You mentioned -

Under the "Edit SMTP Server List" option my internet service providers email account is in there, do I need to add another for iCloud?

Is your iCloud mail address added in internet accounts if not add it .

See Use your Internet accounts on Mac - Apple SupportUse your Internet accounts on Mac – Apple Support (AU)

Change Internet Accounts preferences on Mac - Apple Supportsupport.apple.com › en-in › guide › mac-help › mac

Add an internet account - Apple Supportsupport.apple.com › guide › mac-help › mac

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 6, 2023 6:21 AM in response to paulpmilton

You can use this link Mail – Official Apple Support to find your mail settings .

It depends which mail services you are using , for gmail accounts that are configured with iCloud account , you don't need to add settings they are by default .

You mentioned -

Under the "Edit SMTP Server List" option my internet service providers email account is in there, do I need to add another for iCloud?

Is your iCloud mail address added in internet accounts if not add it .

See Use your Internet accounts on Mac - Apple SupportUse your Internet accounts on Mac – Apple Support (AU)

Change Internet Accounts preferences on Mac - Apple Supportsupport.apple.com › en-in › guide › mac-help › mac

Add an internet account - Apple Supportsupport.apple.com › guide › mac-help › mac

Sep 6, 2023 4:20 AM in response to tygb

Thanks,

I've had a look at these but haven't found a way of helping myself.

Under my iCloud account I have the outgoing mail server set to "iCloud" however this doesn't seem to want to send mail, however once the message fails I can select my internet service providers email account as the outgoing server, this seems to cause emails to get rejected by a lot of mail filtering systems, I'm guessing because the email address and outgoing mail server don't match.

Cheers

Sep 6, 2023 6:23 AM in response to tygb

If your iCloud account is not connected ( just an example ) , open mail application click on I cloud and send a mail from - iCloud address ( in the To - field type your gmail address ) the mail will be sent to your inbox in your apple mail application a pop up appears , in this screen shot it is showing could not connect to outgoing server , thats the reason when connection doctor is opened SMTP for iCloud is totally vanished .You can apply same with gmail say if IMAP or SMTP is not working . Simply click on always use this server to get joined .

And you will observe all IMAP / SMTP for gmail account and iCloud account are showing green dots and joined to their respective server .

Compose a mail ( use command and N keys ) , fill up the credentials select a different mail address and click on try with selected server , in fact in mail preferences send new messages is automatic , that's the reason see the article Change Composing preferences in Mail on Mac - Apple Support (IE)

Send new messages from .

The email address to use when you send messages.

If you use several email accounts, you can have Mail automatically select the best address, based on the email address of the first recipient in your message, as well as the currently selected mailbox and message.

You can click on drop down arrow and choose the desired mail address like example1@icloud.com

Mac OS Mail - Cannot send the message using the server iCloud

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.