Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

I can’t switch off attention aware features

iPhone 13 Pro Max, iOS 17

Posted on Sep 5, 2023 11:07 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 19, 2023 3:46 AM

In my case, I have enabled 'screen distance,' which is why the attention awareness feature appears grayed out. When I turn off the screen distance setting, the attention awareness feature toggle becomes enabled.

17 replies

Oct 18, 2023 11:12 AM in response to Ridham0317

I took this up with Apple support who discovered that there was a setting within Accessibility that was greying out the 'attention aware features'. They managed to find the setting that was conflicting, switched it off and the AAF was then able to be switched off and my alerts and alarms can now be set to the level I want. I am sorry, but they had me try so many items within Accessibility that I am unable to tell you which setting was conflicting.

Nov 3, 2023 8:25 AM in response to SravanKrA

What genius decided making silent alarms the norm was the way to go?? And was it the same genius that decided to load all the functionality into a single toggle? Were they working with another super genius who decided a 60% hit rate for non face objects was acceptable?

alarms make noise & wake people up

if the alarm doesn’t make noise, the alarm is useless,… you’ve deliberately made one of your most depended upon features useless

And the convoluted process to make the toggle available is blocking me from even turning this off

guess I’m buying a physical alarm clock this weekend,… maybe I should call it a dongle

Sep 5, 2023 11:42 PM in response to mirzadiyor

If the "Attention Aware Features" option on your iPhone 12 Pro is grayed out and not selectable, it is likely due to one of the following reasons:

1. Face ID is disabled: Attention Aware Features rely on Face ID, which uses facial recognition technology to detect when you are looking at your device. If Face ID is disabled or not set up on your device, the Attention Aware Features option will be grayed out.
  2. To enable Face ID, go to "Settings" > "Face ID & Passcode" and set up Face ID if you haven't already.
  3. Some accessibility settings or features can conflict with Attention Aware Features. If you have enabled certain accessibility settings that interfere with Face ID or the attention detection system, it can cause the option to be grayed out.
  4. To check this, go to "Settings" > "Accessibility" and review your accessibility settings. You may need to disable certain features to enable Attention Aware Features.

The "Attention Aware Features" on an iPhone refer to a set of capabilities that utilize Face ID technology to enhance the user experience based on your attention or interaction with the device. These features are designed to make your iPhone more intuitive and convenient. Here are some of the key Attention Aware Features:

1. Raise to Wake: When enabled, your iPhone's screen will automatically wake up and display your notifications when you raise it. This feature relies on Face ID to determine if you are looking at the screen before turning it on.
  2. Auto-Lock Delay: If you're actively using your iPhone, the auto-lock timer is extended, preventing the screen from locking too quickly. When you look away or set your device down, it will revert to the normal auto-lock timer to save battery life.
  3. Silent Alarms: When you have an alarm set on your iPhone, it will gradually increase in volume if it detects that you are looking at the screen. This helps to gently wake you up without startling you.

Mar 1, 2024 5:40 AM in response to Alikatereborn

Alikatereborn wrote:

Turn off “screen distance” in screen time options.

You mean like someone said back in October? Or like the last post in this thread, in December suggested?

There's really not much point in resurrecting long dormant threads by posting information that has already been posted in the thread. It's great you want to help. I'd suggest finding some currently active threads.

I can’t switch off attention aware features

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.