Will my contacts be backed up to the cloud during a back up

I am trying to copy contacts from one iPhone to another and I don’t get the pop up to merge contacts ?

iPhone 5s, iOS 12

Posted on Sep 6, 2023 4:21 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 6, 2023 4:27 AM

To resolve this issue, you can try the following steps:

1. iCloud Sync:
    • Make sure both iPhones are connected to the internet.
    • On your old iPhone, go to Settings > [Your Name] > iCloud, and ensure that "Contacts" is turned on.
    • Wait for a few minutes to allow your contacts to sync with iCloud.
  1. Check iCloud Account:
    • On your new iPhone, go to Settings > [Your Name] > iCloud and make sure you're signed in with the same Apple ID that you used on the old iPhone.
  1. Manual Merge:
    • If the pop-up doesn't appear, you can manually merge contacts.
    • On the new iPhone, go to the "Contacts" app.
    • Tap "Groups" in the upper-left corner and make sure "All iCloud" is selected.
    • You should now see your contacts from both devices.
    • Manually select and merge duplicate contacts by tapping on them and then tapping "Edit" in the upper-right corner. From there, you can choose to link or merge contacts.
  1. Use a Third-Party App:
    • If the above steps don't work, you can try using a third-party app like "CopyTrans Contacts" or "AnyTrans for iOS" to transfer and manage your contacts. These apps offer more control over the merging process.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 6, 2023 4:27 AM in response to Ketnor

To resolve this issue, you can try the following steps:

1. iCloud Sync:
    • Make sure both iPhones are connected to the internet.
    • On your old iPhone, go to Settings > [Your Name] > iCloud, and ensure that "Contacts" is turned on.
    • Wait for a few minutes to allow your contacts to sync with iCloud.
  1. Check iCloud Account:
    • On your new iPhone, go to Settings > [Your Name] > iCloud and make sure you're signed in with the same Apple ID that you used on the old iPhone.
  1. Manual Merge:
    • If the pop-up doesn't appear, you can manually merge contacts.
    • On the new iPhone, go to the "Contacts" app.
    • Tap "Groups" in the upper-left corner and make sure "All iCloud" is selected.
    • You should now see your contacts from both devices.
    • Manually select and merge duplicate contacts by tapping on them and then tapping "Edit" in the upper-right corner. From there, you can choose to link or merge contacts.
  1. Use a Third-Party App:
    • If the above steps don't work, you can try using a third-party app like "CopyTrans Contacts" or "AnyTrans for iOS" to transfer and manage your contacts. These apps offer more control over the merging process.

Will my contacts be backed up to the cloud during a back up

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.