Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Toshiba canvio only format choice is nfps. Mac OS ventura on macbook air M1 2020

= I want to use this external drive both for time machine back up and the dragon drop files as well. It does not allow me to do that, and I cannot reformat to anything that is not nfps

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 13.5

Posted on Sep 6, 2023 7:51 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 6, 2023 8:34 PM

APFS or APFS encrypted would be typical for use with Time Machine on recent macOS configurations:

Types of disks you can use with Time Machine on Mac - Apple Support

For using Disk Utility:

Intro to Disk Utility on Mac - Apple Support

File system formats available in Disk Utility on Mac - Apple Support

Again, Time machine wants the whole storage volume.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 6, 2023 8:34 PM in response to porges

APFS or APFS encrypted would be typical for use with Time Machine on recent macOS configurations:

Types of disks you can use with Time Machine on Mac - Apple Support

For using Disk Utility:

Intro to Disk Utility on Mac - Apple Support

File system formats available in Disk Utility on Mac - Apple Support

Again, Time machine wants the whole storage volume.

Sep 6, 2023 8:01 PM in response to porges

Toshiba apparently has various products using the Cancio name, so I’m nor sure which is in use here. From a very quick product search, Canvio Connect, Cancio Advance, Canvio Basics, and probably some others.

APFS or HFS+ would be typical storage volume formats used with macOS.

NTFS is a Microsoft format, and macOS can read that, but not write.

If you cannot reformat the exteranl storage to APFS or HFS+ using Disk Utility(and that should work), you’re left to return the storage for a refund and acquiring some alternative, or acquire an add-on NTFS app such as Paragon.

Time Machine does not support NTFS. Time Machine wants the whole device or whole partition, too.

I’m familiar with a feature known as “drag and drop”, but not with “dragon drop files” and related requirements.

You could conceivably partition the storage, though how well that works will all that’s apparently in use here?

Toshiba canvio only format choice is nfps. Mac OS ventura on macbook air M1 2020

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.