Newsroom Update

The redesigned iPad Air and new iPad Pro with Apple silicon are now available. Learn more >

Thinkvision with ipad air 4

I wanted to know if I could use my Thinkvision M14 monitor from Lenovo with my Ipad Air 4 by any means ?

thanks in advance

Posted on Sep 7, 2023 7:43 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 7, 2023 8:03 AM

The Lenovo Thinkvision M14 can only accept video input via USB-C using DP Alt Mode (i.e., Displayport over USB-C).

Unlike the iPad Air5 that supports this connection type, the Apple do not list support for Displayport for the iPad Air4.

While the iPad Air4 does support HDMI when using an appropriate HDMI Adapter, the Thinkvision M14 does not support HDMI connections.

In conclusion, no, the M14 cannot be used with an iPad Air4.

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 7, 2023 8:03 AM in response to hedi241

The Lenovo Thinkvision M14 can only accept video input via USB-C using DP Alt Mode (i.e., Displayport over USB-C).

Unlike the iPad Air5 that supports this connection type, the Apple do not list support for Displayport for the iPad Air4.

While the iPad Air4 does support HDMI when using an appropriate HDMI Adapter, the Thinkvision M14 does not support HDMI connections.

In conclusion, no, the M14 cannot be used with an iPad Air4.

Sep 7, 2023 8:51 AM in response to hedi241

Your M14 does not have a HDMI port so no way to use HDMI with it.

Apple's support document suggests it should be possible with the iPad Air 4.

Connect your iPad if it has a USB-C or Thunderbolt / USB 4 connector

On a model with a USB-C or a Thunderbolt / USB 4 connector, you may be able to connect iPad to a USB or Thunderbolt 3 port on the display.

I would then ask what type of cable you are using? Is it rated for data, or only for power?

Sep 8, 2023 11:50 AM in response to LotusPilot

LotusPilot wrote:

Providing false hope for potential incompatibility...

The iPad Air4 does not support Thunderbolt or USB4 over USB-C. Neither does the iPad Air4 support DP Alt Mode (DisplayPort).

The iPad Air4 does support HDMI Alt Mode over USB-C.

As per the latest reply from hedi, it did work. It may not support Thunderbolt or display port directly, but clearly it supported the output in some other way.

hedi241 wrote:

I changed to using a data and charging cable and it just worked ! Thank you very much

Glad it worked out.

Thinkvision with ipad air 4

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.