How can I use continuity camera with my Mac studio when it isn't connected to a webcam to begin with?

I connect my mac studio to a monitor that doesn't have a camera. So when using any video call related app the camera is immediately off. Zoom for example there is no option to "change camera". There is no camera connected to begin with so I have no drop down menu to select my iPhone in zoom or meets. It works with my macbook, but my macbook has a webcam. I want to use this continuity camera with my desktop because it doesn't have a webcam to begin with.

Mac Studio, macOS 13.5

Posted on Sep 8, 2023 2:35 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 8, 2023 3:17 AM

I suppose that the issue is to get your mac to acknowledge that your iPhone is available as a camera.

See if any of the information on this page can help:

Continuity Camera: Use iPhone as a webcam for Mac - Apple Support

In particular, try to see if you can access your iPhone as a camera in an application like FaceTime.

I expect that once it is recognized, it will also appear in Zoom.

Please do let us know of your progress on this.

I also have a Mac Studio, but alas my iPhone is too old, so I can't test this; I hope to get a new(er) iPhone later this year, and this would be a great thing to have.

Or perhaps if you could borrow a cheap webcam and attach it to the Mac Studio it might unblock your access in Zoom and then let you use the iPhone.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 8, 2023 3:17 AM in response to Tokyjoe

I suppose that the issue is to get your mac to acknowledge that your iPhone is available as a camera.

See if any of the information on this page can help:

Continuity Camera: Use iPhone as a webcam for Mac - Apple Support

In particular, try to see if you can access your iPhone as a camera in an application like FaceTime.

I expect that once it is recognized, it will also appear in Zoom.

Please do let us know of your progress on this.

I also have a Mac Studio, but alas my iPhone is too old, so I can't test this; I hope to get a new(er) iPhone later this year, and this would be a great thing to have.

Or perhaps if you could borrow a cheap webcam and attach it to the Mac Studio it might unblock your access in Zoom and then let you use the iPhone.

How can I use continuity camera with my Mac studio when it isn't connected to a webcam to begin with?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.