Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Aperture conversion macOS Monterey Photos - bursts bug delete all photos in burst?

I'm converting an Aperture Library to Photos. When I choose an image from a "burst" in Monterey macOS Photos.app and then choose "delete others" it appears all images are deleted. That is, the selected image is not retained.

Has anyone else seen anything like this?

If it's truly happening I think the bug might be:

1. In Aperture bursts are not recognized. So if one imports a burst they are all individual images.
  2. In Aperture one renames, edits and so on. I think changing the filename might be problem (Aperture can do that). If the filename changes then one has a "burst" that does not follow filename conventions.
  3. On conversion to Photos the burst is reconstituted (because image metadata still has the burst identifier) but the filenames may be distinct and not follow burst filename convention.
  4. Choose an image or two from burst to save then choose to delete the rest. Find all images were deleted, none were saved.

I'm doing further testing and workaround development. I lost about 30 images prior to identifying this issue but I have many backups so I'm now researching a workaround and I anticipate reconverting from my Aperture Library. (I have no enabled iCloud sync yet.)

Anyone see anything like this?

Posted on Sep 8, 2023 8:07 AM

Similar questions

3 replies

Sep 11, 2023 12:36 PM in response to jfaughnan

I've done further testing and this is a show stopper bug. On some bursts I can select and the selected image is saved properly. On others the selection doesn't work. In some cases all images are lost; the Recently Deleted folder does not appear and the system trash is empty.

If I rebuild the Photos database I have recovered one burst (reappears in Burst media) but I still can't save an image from the burst. So far I have not found a workaround.

I have backups and I have the original Aperture Library. I'm working with Monterey Photos.app since that is the last version that can do Aperture conversion. I may try calling Apple Support.

Aperture conversion macOS Monterey Photos - bursts bug delete all photos in burst?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.