How to turn off MacBook keyboard so I can use wireless

some keys on my MacBook aren't working but a few are so I'm trying to turn off just the built in keyboard so that the wireless keyboard can rest where the built in one is

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 13.5

Posted on Sep 8, 2023 10:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 8, 2023 11:19 AM

Daniel1739 wrote:

some keys on my MacBook aren't working but a few are so I'm trying to turn off just the built in keyboard so that the wireless keyboard can rest where the built in one is

As far as I know you can not disable the built in keyboard...

Use an Apple wireless keyboard, mouse, or trackpad with Mac

just a thought—you could get something with a bit bigger foot print to set the keyboard on, if you have issues setting your wireless keyboard on top(?)

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 8, 2023 11:19 AM in response to Daniel1739

Daniel1739 wrote:

As far as I know you can not disable the built in keyboard...

Use an Apple wireless keyboard, mouse, or trackpad with Mac

just a thought—you could get something with a bit bigger foot print to set the keyboard on, if you have issues setting your wireless keyboard on top(?)

Sep 8, 2023 6:59 PM in response to Daniel1739

There is no way to disable the built-in keyboard that I'm aware of except perhaps through the use of a third party app. See this article for Karabiner-Elements app where you can disable the built-in keyboard when an external keyboard is connected. Keep in mind that you won't be able to have the external keyboard sit on the built-in keyboard while the laptop is booting since this app won't be loaded until later in the boot process. I've seen a lot of people recommend this app for customizing keyboard behavior with macOS, but I have never personally used this software myself so use at your own risk.

https://karabiner-elements.pqrs.org/docs/manual/configuration/disable-built-in-keyboard/

Be very careful placing anything above the laptop's built-in keyboard since you don't want to accidentally close the display when something is in the way since it will likely result in the Display becoming damaged. I've seen so many of our organization's laptops where someone accidentally closed the Display when something was in the way. It is an extremely expensive repair if the Display must also be replaced.

How to turn off MacBook keyboard so I can use wireless

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.