MacBook asking for PIN instead of Password

I walked away from my MacBook for about 15 minutes. When I came back, the unlock screen asks for a pin. I never set up a pin, and I’ve never used a pin no matter how many times I enter an incorrect pin. I am not given the option of resetting it, I have restarted the machine three times, but the pin request still remains. Any ideas of how to fix this? I am locked out of my machine.

Posted on Sep 8, 2023 12:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 8, 2023 6:46 PM

Are you encountering a password field with the letters PIN in it on your usual login screen?

Have you ever used a CAC (Common Access Card) or Yubikey device on that Mac? If you don't know what those terms mean, then you probably have not, but someone else may have used one. Please write back for instructions.

Otherwise, please refer to PIN code to unlock Mac - Apple Community

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 8, 2023 6:46 PM in response to Redmonster Dad

Are you encountering a password field with the letters PIN in it on your usual login screen?

Have you ever used a CAC (Common Access Card) or Yubikey device on that Mac? If you don't know what those terms mean, then you probably have not, but someone else may have used one. Please write back for instructions.

Otherwise, please refer to PIN code to unlock Mac - Apple Community

MacBook asking for PIN instead of Password

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.