How do I reset WPA/WPA2 security setting to WPA3?

I have been advised that security setting WPA/WPA2 are insufficient.

how do I change to recommended WPA3?

iPad, iPadOS 16

Posted on Sep 8, 2023 12:46 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 8, 2023 1:07 PM

Only newer routers support WPA3. If you want that you may need to replace your router -- but WPA2 AES is fine and won't trigger the Apple weak security warning.

To eliminate the weak security warning, change the security settings on your router to WPA3 or to WPA2 AES. How you do that varies by router. If you don't have the instructions for your router, do an internet search for instructions for your router brand/model or if your router is supplied by your internet service provider, check their website or customer support. Also see: Recommended settings for Wi-Fi routers and access points - Apple Support

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 8, 2023 1:07 PM in response to TJC47

Only newer routers support WPA3. If you want that you may need to replace your router -- but WPA2 AES is fine and won't trigger the Apple weak security warning.

To eliminate the weak security warning, change the security settings on your router to WPA3 or to WPA2 AES. How you do that varies by router. If you don't have the instructions for your router, do an internet search for instructions for your router brand/model or if your router is supplied by your internet service provider, check their website or customer support. Also see: Recommended settings for Wi-Fi routers and access points - Apple Support

Sep 8, 2023 1:09 PM in response to TJC47

You would need to access your Wi-Fi router's admin panel and change it there if it actually supports it.

Consult your router's user guide and documentation for steps to access the control panel, and steps to change the security level.

You will most likely need to connect to your router with an ethernet cable from a computer directly to make the change.

How do I reset WPA/WPA2 security setting to WPA3?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.