trading in a Mac (erasing its contents) that's backed up in iCloud - how do I prevent losing all the data / files?

I have 2 older Macbook Pros. They are both backed up in iCloud, and everything is synched beautifully. I just bought a new MacBook.

• I need to erase the the 2 old ones
  • I want the new one to pick up all the files, photos, settings, etc from iCloud

What is the process to ensure I dont lose anything? I am assuming I need to simply turn off iCloud on the 2 MacBooks first? If I do that, will the backups be lost, or will they still live in the cloud?

MacBook Pro (M2, 2022)

Posted on Sep 9, 2023 1:59 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 9, 2023 2:06 PM

Use the following procedure on the old Macs. It will not erase anything from iCloud. What to do before you sell, give away, trade in, or recycle your Mac - Apple Support

Also, a terminology issue (backup vs sync) that may cause some confusion. You probably are aware, but just in case, see the following.

Apple offers iCloud Backup for iPhones and iPads but not for Mac computers.

It is possible to sync data from a Mac to iCloud if you turn on those options (e.g., iCloud Photos, iCloud Drive including the Desktop & Documents option). Syncing has some of the benefits of a backup (and the benefit of being offsite) but is not the same as a backup. Major differences include the fact that not everything on your Mac can be synced and the fact that if you delete something, accidentally or otherwise, there is only a limited time period (30 days in most cases) during which it can be recovered.

Also see the Apple article: How to back up your Mac - Official Apple Support

And more information on syncing in:

Set up and use iCloud Photos - Apple Support

and

Access and manage your files in iCloud Drive - Apple Support

and

Add your Desktop and Documents files to iCloud Drive - Apple Support

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 9, 2023 2:06 PM in response to avy194

Use the following procedure on the old Macs. It will not erase anything from iCloud. What to do before you sell, give away, trade in, or recycle your Mac - Apple Support

Also, a terminology issue (backup vs sync) that may cause some confusion. You probably are aware, but just in case, see the following.

Apple offers iCloud Backup for iPhones and iPads but not for Mac computers.

It is possible to sync data from a Mac to iCloud if you turn on those options (e.g., iCloud Photos, iCloud Drive including the Desktop & Documents option). Syncing has some of the benefits of a backup (and the benefit of being offsite) but is not the same as a backup. Major differences include the fact that not everything on your Mac can be synced and the fact that if you delete something, accidentally or otherwise, there is only a limited time period (30 days in most cases) during which it can be recovered.

Also see the Apple article: How to back up your Mac - Official Apple Support

And more information on syncing in:

Set up and use iCloud Photos - Apple Support

and

Access and manage your files in iCloud Drive - Apple Support

and

Add your Desktop and Documents files to iCloud Drive - Apple Support

trading in a Mac (erasing its contents) that's backed up in iCloud - how do I prevent losing all the data / files?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.