Unplugging the SeaGate external drive

So let's say the data I uploaded is all I need to be sure I did for today, and the external drive

called Seagate needs to be released. What do I need to do other than just pulling out the

external attachment on the right side of the keyboard?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.7

Posted on Sep 9, 2023 6:40 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 9, 2023 7:01 PM

Eject it before disconnecting. See the following from Connect and use other storage devices with Mac - Apple Support

Eject a storage device

On your Mac, do one of the following:

• Select the item to eject, then choose File > Eject.
  • In the Finder sidebar, click the Eject button  next to the item’s name.
  • Tip: You can quickly eject disks from connected optical drives using the Eject menu in the menu bar. Choose Apple menu  > System Settings, then click CDs & DVDs  in the sidebar (you may need to scroll down). Turn on “Show eject in menu bar.” 
  • Note: If you don’t have an optical drive connected to your Mac, CDs & DVDs settings aren’t available.
  • On the desktop, drag the item that you want to eject to the Trash.

If you can’t eject a storage device, another app or user may be using one or more files on the storage device. See If you can’t eject a disk on Mac because an app is using it and If you can’t eject a disk because another user is using it.

Another method that I use if the drive is displayed on the Desktop (whether or not to display it is an option in Finder Preferences) is to control click on the icon and then click Eject.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 9, 2023 7:01 PM in response to SlowWalkeronWalker

Eject it before disconnecting. See the following from Connect and use other storage devices with Mac - Apple Support

Eject a storage device

On your Mac, do one of the following:

• Select the item to eject, then choose File > Eject.
  • In the Finder sidebar, click the Eject button  next to the item’s name.
  • Tip: You can quickly eject disks from connected optical drives using the Eject menu in the menu bar. Choose Apple menu  > System Settings, then click CDs & DVDs  in the sidebar (you may need to scroll down). Turn on “Show eject in menu bar.” 
  • Note: If you don’t have an optical drive connected to your Mac, CDs & DVDs settings aren’t available.
  • On the desktop, drag the item that you want to eject to the Trash.

If you can’t eject a storage device, another app or user may be using one or more files on the storage device. See If you can’t eject a disk on Mac because an app is using it and If you can’t eject a disk because another user is using it.

Another method that I use if the drive is displayed on the Desktop (whether or not to display it is an option in Finder Preferences) is to control click on the icon and then click Eject.

Sep 9, 2023 7:08 PM in response to SlowWalkeronWalker

SlowWalkeronWalker Said:

"Unplugging the SeaGate external drive: So let's say the data I uploaded is all I need to be sure I did for today, and the external drive called Seagate needs to be released. What do I need to do other than just pulling out the external attachment on the right side of the keyboard?"

-------

Ejecting the Drive:

If you have no reason to be using it at this time, then power of your Mac, and hone unplug it while it is shut down.

Unplugging the SeaGate external drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.