Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Managed Device

I’m running iOS 15.7.8 now, was stuck on 13.7 for over a year totally unable to update software. Even APPLE in store could not make it update. My recent ex has habit of ‘customising’ my iPhones/Android devices.. do receive notifications esp in Google platforms that I’m “..using a customised device..” or alternatively that my device is managed and I need permission from the ‘Administrator’ to do certain pedestrian things. Think he has implemented some kind of parental controls but can’t find it. DO know he gets OTP texts that I have asked for & intended only for my number. DO know he can retrieve, read & decide what to do with incoming/outgoing SMS, mail (both iOS and GMAIL) and knows my whereabouts if I take phone with me. Found my own conversations with other parties recorded on his device etc

My dilemma- how do I escape this insanity? My life is on my phone and sick of this person stealing my mail, texts, photos, breaching my privacy.

Posted on Sep 10, 2023 1:30 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 10, 2023 1:33 AM

If this is your personal device then you can update your device with the current iOS

Know how to...

If this is your corporate iPhone, it is important to reach out to the system administrator of your corporate. They will be able to assist you with any issues or concerns related to your device.

However, if it is your personal device, there are a few things to consider. Firstly, check if you have any profiles installed by your corporate, organization, enterprise, or school management. These profiles are typically used to manage certain settings or restrictions on your device.

If you do have a profile installed, and you no longer wish to keep it, you can follow the steps provided by Apple to remove configuration profiles on your iPhone. By doing so, you will eliminate the profile and its associated settings from your device. Install or remove configuration profiles on iPhone - Apple ...

In case you need further guidance or encounter any difficulties during the process, it is recommended to contact the system administrator of the organization that provided the profile to you. They will be able to assist you in removing the profile or addressing any concerns you may have.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 10, 2023 1:33 AM in response to Caos_mez

If this is your personal device then you can update your device with the current iOS

Know how to...

If this is your corporate iPhone, it is important to reach out to the system administrator of your corporate. They will be able to assist you with any issues or concerns related to your device.

However, if it is your personal device, there are a few things to consider. Firstly, check if you have any profiles installed by your corporate, organization, enterprise, or school management. These profiles are typically used to manage certain settings or restrictions on your device.

If you do have a profile installed, and you no longer wish to keep it, you can follow the steps provided by Apple to remove configuration profiles on your iPhone. By doing so, you will eliminate the profile and its associated settings from your device. Install or remove configuration profiles on iPhone - Apple ...

In case you need further guidance or encounter any difficulties during the process, it is recommended to contact the system administrator of the organization that provided the profile to you. They will be able to assist you in removing the profile or addressing any concerns you may have.

Sep 11, 2023 11:12 AM in response to Caos_mez

I’m running iOS 15.7.8 now, was stuck on 13.7 for over a year totally unable to update software. Even APPLE in store could not make it update. Was only able to update it very recently when I used my ex’s WiFi at his place.

My recent ex has a years old habit of ‘customising’ my iPhones/Android devices.. I do receive notifications esp in Google platforms that I’m “..using a customised device..” or alternatively that my device is managed and I need permission from the ‘Administrator’ to do certain pedestrian things. Think he has implemented some kind of parental controls but can’t find it. DO know he gets OTP texts that I have asked for & intended only for my number. DO know he can retrieve, read & decide what to do with incoming/outgoing SMS, mail (both iOS and GMAIL) and knows my whereabouts if I take phone with me.

Ive had my previous APPLE ID stolen unable to ever get it back.

Tried all usual troubleshooting ie change passwords, use new SIMs, block his numbers (never works he breaks through them); 2factor, device reset- doesn’t work etc.

Found my own conversations with other parties recorded on his device etc and have weird voicemail from his numbers that sounds like garbled conversations but I can hear my own voice in these; suspect he has accidentally sent me his own retrieved recordings of my private calls with other parties. Even received a pretty sinister recording of what I can only assume is another hacker giving instructions/more like an explanation briefly as to how to hack. It’s only 1 sentence but it clearly wasn’t meant to come to me. Received this only minutes after particularly awful fight.

My dilemma- how do I escape this insanity? My life is on my phone and sick of this person stealing my mail, texts, photos, breaching my privacy. I’m exhausted and angry and need real help.

[Edited by Moderator]

Sep 13, 2023 12:55 PM in response to SravanKrA

This is my device. It is not and never has been a corporate phone nor is it/ever was it used by me in connection with a school/student arrangement.

I have however seen evidence on another’s phone of it enrolled in some kind of ‘…enterprise..’ system and I’m not sure what this means.

I’ve updated to the latest available update.

Managed Device

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.