New MagSafe Charger Serial Number NOT recognized on apple.com

Today, I purchased a MagSafe Charger, Model A2140. As I do with all Apple products, I verify the serial number online, especially to ensure my warranty dates are registered to my Apple ID. When I enter the charger's serial number online with apple, it is reported as an invalid number. The charger was purchased from a very reputable brick and mortar retailer and I have verified its firmware through the 'General' - 'About' areas of my iPhone's Settings.

My questions:

1. Does Apple NOT allow MagSafe chargers to be registered to your Apple ID like other products?
  2. For the purposes of warranty coverage, how would Apple verify when I purchased this product if I do not somehow register its serial number?

Any insight would be appreciated.

Posted on Sep 10, 2023 12:22 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 10, 2023 1:07 PM

Not all Apple devices can be verified, specifically most of their power adapters/chargers, via their serial numbers at:

As far as warranty coverage, all Apple devices are provided with a one-year hardware warranty against manufacturing defects. If you did not purchase it directly from Apple or an Apple Authorized Reseller, that coverage started when that third-party seller bought it from Apple, not when you actually purchased it from them.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 10, 2023 1:07 PM in response to chgotop

Not all Apple devices can be verified, specifically most of their power adapters/chargers, via their serial numbers at:

As far as warranty coverage, all Apple devices are provided with a one-year hardware warranty against manufacturing defects. If you did not purchase it directly from Apple or an Apple Authorized Reseller, that coverage started when that third-party seller bought it from Apple, not when you actually purchased it from them.

New MagSafe Charger Serial Number NOT recognized on apple.com

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.