How to transfer google chrome bookmarks to macbook pro using (backed-up) external hardrive Seagate OneTouch

Recently I upgraded my mackbook pro to have more internal storage. To do this the IT staff had to replace my internal storage with the new one, due to this change, all of my files, bookmarks, passwords, etc were left on the old storage and the new one is empty and I have to start everything again.

Luckily, I backed up everything on my external hardrive 'Seagate OneTouch', however, the issue now is I cannot find which folder on my external hardrive my bookmarks, passwords, are hidden under and I cannot figure out how to move them over or how to make my laptop recognize them and move them over on its own.

I have tried using the google chrome - import bookmarks HTML - the issue with this is when I click to choose the file, I cannot find where the file is on my external hardrive and most of the files on my external hardrive are greyed out so I cannot chose them anyway.

For the normal files, i.e. 'Documents' I can transfer those over to my laptop by simple dragging them across to the 'document' folder I want them saved in, but when it comes to any saved passwords or bookmarks, etc, I have no idea how to do this and no matter how much I search randomly online I cannot find the correct answer on how to do this successfully.

I normally use google chrome, all of my bookmarks are saved there and I do not know if google or which app saves my passwords. Usu when I log in to any website/app a pop-up will come up prompting/asking me to save the passwords. I don't really use Safari, I don't believe my bookmarks, passwords would be saved under there.

I am currently using a Macbook Pro - Mid 2012 - MacOS Catalina 10.15.7.

I am hopeful someone out there understands how this is done and can help me please!

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Sep 10, 2023 1:25 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 10, 2023 2:39 PM

This is a USB enclosure. It allows the removed internal drive to act as an external HDD: https://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-External-Lay-Flat-Docking-EC-DFLT/dp/B00LS5NFQ2/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=external%2Bhard%2Bdrive%2Benclosure&qid=1694381540&sr=8-3&th=1

You don't need to be an IT guy to know how you backed up, but you do have to have certain basic skills. Did you use Time Machine or did your copy and paste via Finder? Back up your Mac with Time Machine - Apple Support

Since you know about TM, did you make your original backup with it? If so you can use migration assistant to move that data to air new Mac: Transfer to a new Mac with Migration Assistant - Apple Support

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 10, 2023 2:39 PM in response to s214

This is a USB enclosure. It allows the removed internal drive to act as an external HDD: https://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-External-Lay-Flat-Docking-EC-DFLT/dp/B00LS5NFQ2/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=external%2Bhard%2Bdrive%2Benclosure&qid=1694381540&sr=8-3&th=1

You don't need to be an IT guy to know how you backed up, but you do have to have certain basic skills. Did you use Time Machine or did your copy and paste via Finder? Back up your Mac with Time Machine - Apple Support

Since you know about TM, did you make your original backup with it? If so you can use migration assistant to move that data to air new Mac: Transfer to a new Mac with Migration Assistant - Apple Support

Sep 10, 2023 1:56 PM in response to ku4hx

Thank you so much for your reply but I am not an IT person and don't know much abt it. Layman terms work best for me please if you don't mind, it may be frustrating so someone who works or is involved in IT and understands the terminology and such but that is not me - what do you mean 'put the old HDD into a USB enclosure, attach it to the new Mac'

I have no idea how I can do this or what this means. What is an old HDD? how would I put it into a USB enclosure? and how do I attach it to my Mac? Sorry but this is all new to me.

For the Seagate external hardrive, it has a USB, I plug that into my Mac and use finder to wait until finder finds it (or they find each other). I also use the Time Machine Preference on Mac and it will begin backing it up once it finds it. I have 'Back up Automatically check-marked.

Thank you in advance

Sep 12, 2023 5:08 PM in response to ku4hx

Hi again,

Thank you for your tips, it is appreciated. The migration assistant worked for me between my external hardrive and 'new' laptop, no need for me to purchase the enclosure from Amazon. This is the 1st time I ever had to use an entirely new internal storage, I guess I never realized how important it is until I was ready to set up my laptop. For some reason I expected google chrome to have some of the info saved for whatever reason.

Originally I had used the time machine to back everything up onto my external hardrive.

Thank you again! :D

How to transfer google chrome bookmarks to macbook pro using (backed-up) external hardrive Seagate OneTouch

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.