You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How MacBook Pro power supply switch works? Is safe to keep my laptop plugged in or not?

I've been researching battery life on MacBooks, but I am receiving mixed messages. On the one hand, some people said that keeping your MacBook plugged in harms the battery because it keeps charging the MacBook which stresses the battery. On the other hand, some people say that the power supply switch helps avoid creating new charging cycles so it's only a matter of disconnecting the MacBook once a month.

So I'm confused, how power supply switch works? And, can I keep my Macbook Pro connected occasionally?

MacBook Pro 14″, macOS 13.5

Posted on Sep 10, 2023 4:05 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 10, 2023 4:27 PM

FoxEngine2664 wrote:

I've been researching battery life on MacBooks, but I am receiving mixed messages. On the one hand, some people said that keeping your MacBook plugged in harms the battery because it keeps charging the MacBook which stresses the battery. On the other hand, some people say that the power supply switch helps avoid creating new charging cycles so it's only a matter of disconnecting the MacBook once a month.

So I'm confused, how power supply switch works? And, can I keep my Macbook Pro connected occasionally?

Yes it is preferred.

The rule of thumb—if you are near the mains leave it plugged in, if you need the portability then run on the battery only—this is how you optimize your battery charging and extend the working life of your battery by reducing the cycle count.

Determine battery cycle count for Mac notebooks

Determine battery cycle count for Mac laptops - Apple Support

About BHM battery health management:

M1/M2 SoC

About battery health management in Mac notebooks - Apple Support

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 10, 2023 4:27 PM in response to FoxEngine2664

FoxEngine2664 wrote:

Yes it is preferred.

The rule of thumb—if you are near the mains leave it plugged in, if you need the portability then run on the battery only—this is how you optimize your battery charging and extend the working life of your battery by reducing the cycle count.

Determine battery cycle count for Mac notebooks

Determine battery cycle count for Mac laptops - Apple Support

About BHM battery health management:

M1/M2 SoC

About battery health management in Mac notebooks - Apple Support

How MacBook Pro power supply switch works? Is safe to keep my laptop plugged in or not?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.