Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

My Desktop is missing from Finder Sidebar.

I don't know where it went. There was a folder containing desktop icons but I did not create it. I don't know how it got there. I thought I could just move the icons onto the blank screen I was looking at but I didn't realize that what I was seeing wasn't the actual 'desktop'. That's when I noticed it was missing in the Finder Sidebar. How do I restore it?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 13.5

Posted on Sep 10, 2023 6:03 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 11, 2023 10:50 AM

Mavrckbead wrote:

Desktop is listed under iCloud and it was already checked to be in the sidebar.

And there you have it.

You (apparently without realizing it, as many many people do) have activated "Documents and Desktop in iCloud".

So your Desktop and Documents folders are now stored in iCloud, and hence are visible inside your iCloud Drive.

You can, if you so desire, revert this. Go to System Settings->Apple ID, click iCloud, then click iCloud Drive.

If you now turn off the "Desktop & Documents Folders" you will be asked if you want to keep a local copy. OF COURSE you do!

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 11, 2023 10:50 AM in response to Mavrckbead

Mavrckbead wrote:

Desktop is listed under iCloud and it was already checked to be in the sidebar.

And there you have it.

You (apparently without realizing it, as many many people do) have activated "Documents and Desktop in iCloud".

So your Desktop and Documents folders are now stored in iCloud, and hence are visible inside your iCloud Drive.

You can, if you so desire, revert this. Go to System Settings->Apple ID, click iCloud, then click iCloud Drive.

If you now turn off the "Desktop & Documents Folders" you will be asked if you want to keep a local copy. OF COURSE you do!

Sep 11, 2023 10:26 AM in response to Mavrckbead

One last thing to try:

Try deleting the Finder preference File. A new plist will be re-created automatically.

In Finder, press Command-Shift-G and paste this

~/Library/Preferences/

Delete: com.apple.finder.plist

Drag the file to the trash, then force-quit the Finder, or log out and back in.

Force Quit: Click Apple logo in upper left menu or key ‘option + command + esc’

My Desktop is missing from Finder Sidebar.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.