Newsroom Update

The redesigned iPad Air and new iPad Pro with Apple silicon are now available. Learn more >

Ipad died

Hi, i went to turn on my ipad pro 5th gen and nothing.

Put it on charge still nothing ,tried all the methods to revive it ,nothing worked. Took it to apple, and was told it's dead ,i asked about getting it repaired but the guy said apple wouldn't even attempt to repair it as they break when opening (his words) then he offered to recycle it for free. I was flabbergasted i explained it was new in April 2022 ,16 months old and it just died and all you can offer is to bin it and won't charge me. He even said, its not the first one he's seen do this definitely a hardware fault. I understand it's out of warranty but 16 months old!!!!.

He said as I'd had it on contract to contact them ,i have they sent me to apple . Do i really have an expensive paperweight now.

Many thanks .

iPad Pro (5th generation)

Posted on Sep 11, 2023 1:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 11, 2023 1:46 AM

How odd.

If the iPad model is as described, unless your fifth generation iPad Pro has suffered significant external damage, it is definitely eligible for repair by Apple - as you will see here:

iPad Repair & Service - Apple Support

You would be best advised to visit the Genius Bar at an official Apple Store or Apple Authorised Service Provider (AASP) - where the technicians will be able to properly assess your iPad - and advise upon your available repair options:

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

For practical purposes, in lieu of repairing and returning your own iPad, Apple usually exchange the iPad for a renewed/refurbished iPad of the same model and specification. The cost of the exchange is the same as would otherwise be charged for repair. Unless you have benefit of an active AppleCare plan, an out-of-warranty repair while expensive will be somewhat less than the cost of a replacement iPad.

You can establish the likely repair cost using the link already provided.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 11, 2023 1:46 AM in response to greytop68

How odd.

If the iPad model is as described, unless your fifth generation iPad Pro has suffered significant external damage, it is definitely eligible for repair by Apple - as you will see here:

iPad Repair & Service - Apple Support

You would be best advised to visit the Genius Bar at an official Apple Store or Apple Authorised Service Provider (AASP) - where the technicians will be able to properly assess your iPad - and advise upon your available repair options:

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

For practical purposes, in lieu of repairing and returning your own iPad, Apple usually exchange the iPad for a renewed/refurbished iPad of the same model and specification. The cost of the exchange is the same as would otherwise be charged for repair. Unless you have benefit of an active AppleCare plan, an out-of-warranty repair while expensive will be somewhat less than the cost of a replacement iPad.

You can establish the likely repair cost using the link already provided.

Sep 13, 2023 1:22 AM in response to LotusPilot

I have been to the apple store and the Genius Bar ,this is where i was told that they wouldn't attempt a repair, just an exchange, this is when the guy told me to go back to where i had it on contract as I'm entitled to 2 years warranty under consumer law, i have and they sent me to apple ,and round and round it goes. As I've said in my previous message it's bad enough that the ipad just died ,but for an apple representative to say it's happened before it seems to be ipad related (again his words) and just leave it at that with no explanation or investigation as to what failed is not good enough. I honesty dont see any point in pursuing this as I'm just going to be told by each party it's the other party's responsibility to replace it.

Thanks

Ipad died

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.