Apple Pencil 2 Won't Pair or Charge

I have a brand new iPad Pro 12.9" running IOS 16.6 and a brand new Apple pencil 2. The initial charge has worn off of the pencil and now it won't pair or charge on my iPad. I've tried restarting it. I've tried resetting the network settings. I've turned off and back on bluetooth pairing. when i put it on the magnet the little apple pencil bubble at the top of my screen comes up but bluetooth settings says it's not connected. I clicked on "forget this device" and tried re-pairing it after that but it still will not connect. I get "the "Pairing unsuccessful" message. It will not charge while attached to the magnet either, so I'm not sure if the problem is with the iPad or the pencil. All I know is I've exhausted about all of my options in trying to get it to work.

Posted on Sep 11, 2023 9:37 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 11, 2023 10:32 AM

When I first bought the pencil, out of the box it was at about 70% charge. I've used it, but whenever it wasn't in use it was tethered to the ipad magnetically, which is supposed to keep it charged. Apparently it didn't charge it and the battery has failed. I thought it might be the case, but the case is made to accommodate the magnetic connection and allow the charge. I've been trying it without the case and it's doing nothing at this point.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 11, 2023 10:32 AM in response to LotusPilot

When I first bought the pencil, out of the box it was at about 70% charge. I've used it, but whenever it wasn't in use it was tethered to the ipad magnetically, which is supposed to keep it charged. Apparently it didn't charge it and the battery has failed. I thought it might be the case, but the case is made to accommodate the magnetic connection and allow the charge. I've been trying it without the case and it's doing nothing at this point.

Sep 11, 2023 10:38 AM in response to Redpost69

For the second generation Pencil to charge, it must make physical contact with the iPad's charging dock. Any material between the Pencil and the iPad, such as may be present with some third-party cases, may inhibit charging.

It is generally recommended that a second generation Pencil is always docked with the host iPad whenever it is not being actively used - as this will ensure that the Pencil is optimally charged and protected from deep-discharge.

Sep 11, 2023 9:43 AM in response to Redpost69

Your Apple Pencil is exhibiting symptoms of a failing/failed battery - that will not reliably accept or hold any charge.

The tiny internal Li-ion battery is susceptible to permanent/irreversible damage through being left discharged for long periods. Even some “new” pencils can exhibit signs of failure out-of-the-box if they are “old stock”. It is essential that if you have an Apple Pencil that you charge it regularly - whether used or not - so as to protect the battery from deep-discharge. Do not allow a pencil to remain in low-charge state for any period of time - as the internal battery will fail, rendering the Pencil useless. Setting aside an unused Pencil, for extended periods, is a recipe for premature death of the Pencil battery.

If the Pencil Battery has failed, the only remedy is to replace the Pencil. If the battery has failed and your pencil is within its one-year warranty, you should look to having it replaced by your retailer or at an Apple Store.

You would be best advised to visit the Genius Bar at your local Apple Store or Apple Authorised Service Provider (AASP) - where the technicians will be able to test and assess your iPad and Pencil. If a fault is identified, you’ll be in the best possible place to explore your available options:

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

Be aware that if purchased directly from Apple, in most countries/regions you have benefit of a 14-day period within which an undamaged item can be unconditionally returned for exchange or refund. If this applies to you, you would be best advised to take advantage of the opportunity while it remains available to you.

Upon expiry of 14-days, Apple may apply its standard warranty terms.

Apple Pencil 2 Won't Pair or Charge

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.