External CD/DVD Writer Not Powered By MacBook Air 2022?

I just bought a new MacBook Air 2022. When I connect my LG/Hitachi Slim external CD/DVD reader/writer via USB-C (using an Apple dongle adaptor) the unit doesn't seem to get enough power. System information sees the drive but it makes a clicking noise about once a second, the power light doesn't come on, and I can't open the tray. The same combination works fine on my 2018 MBP so I'm confused. Isn't USB-C supposed to have standard set of specs for power? If the Air doesn't supply enough power, how do I find a drive that will work? I still need to read music CDs.

MacBook Air (M2, 2022)

Posted on Sep 11, 2023 11:26 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 12, 2023 8:58 AM

Simon Garrett wrote:

I just bought a new MacBook Air 2022. When I connect my LG/Hitachi Slim external CD/DVD reader/writer via USB-C (using an Apple dongle adaptor) the unit doesn't seem to get enough power. System information sees the drive but it makes a clicking noise about once a second, the power light doesn't come on, and I can't open the tray. The same combination works fine on my 2018 MBP so I'm confused. Isn't USB-C supposed to have standard set of specs for power? If the Air doesn't supply enough power, how do I find a drive that will work? I still need to read music CDs.

Not all thirdparty are going to be compatible...

If in doubt refer to the developers website; Support/Help/FAQ/known issues/compatibility /updates...

Contact a third party vendor

Contact a third-party vendor - Apple Support

ref

Apple USB SuperDrive

How to connect the Apple USB SuperDrive

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 12, 2023 8:58 AM in response to Simon Garrett

Simon Garrett wrote:

Not all thirdparty are going to be compatible...

If in doubt refer to the developers website; Support/Help/FAQ/known issues/compatibility /updates...

Contact a third party vendor

Contact a third-party vendor - Apple Support

ref

Apple USB SuperDrive

How to connect the Apple USB SuperDrive

External CD/DVD Writer Not Powered By MacBook Air 2022?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.