"Find My" app

Hello -- if you share your tracking information with a family member (they can track you via the "Find My" app) and then you get a new phone and give your phone to someone else -- how does it then work with the "Find My" app -- is it still tracking me, or is it now tracking the new phone user?

iPhone 13 Pro

Posted on Sep 11, 2023 1:38 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 11, 2023 1:40 PM

When you “give your phone to someone else”, be certain you do this first.

What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

8 replies

Sep 11, 2023 2:12 PM in response to IdrisSeabright

I can't follow the procedure in the article because this situation is not specific to me, it is about two other users. I am trying to find out (hypothetically) if there would ever be a way, if it would ever be possible, that the "find my" app is actually tracking the new user of the phone and not the original user. My main question is could this ever be possible?

Sep 11, 2023 2:30 PM in response to murphy1217

“Ever”? Certainly - if the proper procedures are not followed.

The iPhone may not be set up as having a “new iPhone user”.

One can easily steal a car as well when the keys are left in the ignition.

If you leave your iPhone laying around at a coffee shop, and it’s not passcode protected, I could pick it up and take it over.

Sep 12, 2023 6:39 AM in response to murphy1217

murphy1217 wrote:

I can't take the recommended advice, I am just trying to see how the "find my" app works -- and if it would ever be possible that the "find my" app is tracking the new user and not the original user. Could this ever be systematically possible?

"Find My" tracks devices based on the Apple ID. If the original Apple ID has been properly removed from the device (i.e. it is no longer activation locked to the Apple ID), "Find My" will not be tracking it by that original Apple ID.

"Find My" app

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.