iMovie Projects Window - Choosing Which Clip to Display

Hi,

I was wondering if there is a way to select a specific clip to be displayed in the iMovie Projects window?

At the moment it seems to select a random part of my project and I would to select a specific point in the movie.

I've attached a picture of the window I'm referring to incase my description isn't clear.

It's the image in the boxes which I wish to have control over.

Many thanks for your help,

Stophen.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Sep 12, 2023 3:03 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 12, 2023 8:30 AM

There is no specific iMovie function that allows for choosing the display thumbnail for a project icon in the project browser view. iMovie selects a frame at the midpoint of the movie to use as the display. You can change the midpoint by inserting a black background of desired duration at the end of the movie. However, it would be difficult to designate a specifically desired frame to display.

Another way would be to insert a still image from the movie into the upper timeline at the midpoint. That should cause iMovie to display that image as the project icon poster clip. You would need to remember to remove the inserted image before sharing out (exporting) the movie or playing the movie in the timeline.

Lastly, you could re-edit your movie so as to display a suitable clip at the midpoint.

-- Rich

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 12, 2023 8:30 AM in response to Stophen

There is no specific iMovie function that allows for choosing the display thumbnail for a project icon in the project browser view. iMovie selects a frame at the midpoint of the movie to use as the display. You can change the midpoint by inserting a black background of desired duration at the end of the movie. However, it would be difficult to designate a specifically desired frame to display.

Another way would be to insert a still image from the movie into the upper timeline at the midpoint. That should cause iMovie to display that image as the project icon poster clip. You would need to remember to remove the inserted image before sharing out (exporting) the movie or playing the movie in the timeline.

Lastly, you could re-edit your movie so as to display a suitable clip at the midpoint.

-- Rich

iMovie Projects Window - Choosing Which Clip to Display

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.