Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

On a 2013 MacBook Pro running OS High Sierra, can I upgrade or is it time to buy a new one?

Running old OS on an old MacBook Pro. Looking for options: upgrade or time to buy a new one?

Earlier displays & monitors

Posted on Sep 12, 2023 5:03 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 12, 2023 5:50 AM

The MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2013) can be upgraded to 10.15.7 Catalina.

High Sierra is 10.13.

So you can upgrade from 10.13 to 10.15.6.

You would still need to know, though, that at OS 10.15 (Catalina) the system upgraded from 32-bit to 64-bit, which means that some older applications will not run under 10.15.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 12, 2023 5:50 AM in response to OS_High_Sierra

The MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2013) can be upgraded to 10.15.7 Catalina.

High Sierra is 10.13.

So you can upgrade from 10.13 to 10.15.6.

You would still need to know, though, that at OS 10.15 (Catalina) the system upgraded from 32-bit to 64-bit, which means that some older applications will not run under 10.15.

Sep 12, 2023 6:12 AM in response to OS_High_Sierra

The MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2013) can be upgraded to 10.15.7 Catalina, that is as far as you can go. If the MacBook still serves your needs; Internet, email, runs the programs you currently use with no issues and you want to save a few dollars, keep using it.

Contact https://eshop.macsales.com/ and chat with them for the options you have to upgrade this machine. They are great at support and very good on pricing for anything you may want to do.

My daily driver for a car is a 1995 Volvo 940, it starts and runs fine, gets me from point A to point B. Would I enjoy the latest and greatest 2023 Volvo? Sure, but not the cost.

The new MacBook Pro's are fantastic and the battery life is off the charts, you will enjoy the latest and greatest if you like speed, light weight and just plain FUN. If you can afford a new one, do so and hang onto the 2013 as a backup for a bit longer.

Apple builds machines that last!

On a 2013 MacBook Pro running OS High Sierra, can I upgrade or is it time to buy a new one?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.