Why can't I install mac ventura os 13.5.2 on my macbook air from high sierra os?

I went to the app store and tried to download the new ventura, but got the message

"We could not complete your purchase. This version of MacOS 13.5.2 cannot be installed on this computer."

When I clicked on "Learn more," NOTHING HAPPENED. Mac has offered on explanation of why this new OS shouldn't work.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Sep 12, 2023 8:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 12, 2023 9:02 AM

fedupwithplannedobsolescence wrote:

I went to the app store and tried to download the new ventura, but got the message

"We could not complete your purchase. This version of MacOS 13.5.2 cannot be installed on this computer."

When I clicked on "Learn more," NOTHING HAPPENED. Mac has offered on explanation of why this new OS shouldn't work.

You do not say what exact Mac is this....

compare the tech spec—macOS Ventura hardware requirements

see if you qualify: macOS Ventura - Apple

alternatively:

macOS Ventura is compatible with these computers

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 12, 2023 9:02 AM in response to fedupwithplannedobsolescence

You do not say what exact Mac is this....

compare the tech spec—macOS Ventura hardware requirements

see if you qualify: macOS Ventura - Apple

alternatively:

macOS Ventura is compatible with these computers

Sep 12, 2023 9:20 AM in response to leroydouglas

Thanks, Leroy!

That second list was helpful. I have a Macbook Air (13-inch 2017), which is not on the list of compatible computers. So I assume Apple wants me to buy a new (or newer) Mac.

I'm pretty annoyed to see that if I had bought a Macbook Pro back in 2017, (I had a Macbook Pro before purchasing this Macbook Air), I would be able to do the Ventura 13.5.2 update. Even though I wanted to replace my old Macbook Pro with a new one, the salesperson told me I wouldn't need all the memory that a Pro offered, considering my use and software needs, and I could save money by opting for the Macbook Air instead.

How I wish I would have insisted on another Pro: even though the Macbook Pro was more expensive, if I had bought one, I would be able to install the new Ventura instead of "needing" a new computer!

Sep 12, 2023 9:33 AM in response to fedupwithplannedobsolescence

Thanks, Leroy!

That second list was helpful. I have a Macbook Air (13-inch 2017), which is not on the list of compatible computers. So I assume Apple wants me to buy a new (or newer) Mac.

I'm pretty annoyed to see that if I had bought a Macbook Pro back in 2017, (I had a Macbook Pro before purchasing this Macbook Air), I would be able to do the Ventura 13.5.2 update. Even though I wanted to replace my old Macbook Pro with a new one, the salesperson told me I wouldn't need all the memory that a Pro offered, considering my use and software needs, and I could save money by opting for the Macbook Air instead.

How I wish I would have insisted on another Pro: even though the Macbook Pro was more expensive, if I had bought one, I would be able to install the new Ventura instead of "needing" a new computer!

your Macbook Air 13-inch 2017,

is quite capable of running the macOS Monterey 12.6.9 (September 11, 2023)

macOS  installer backups on this server: 

How to download and install macOS - Apple Support

Sep 12, 2023 9:31 AM in response to fedupwithplannedobsolescence

I have a Macbook Air 13-inch 2017, which I now know is incompatible with the new Ventura OS. Any ideas--besides buying a new Mac--what I should do?

What you should do, would depend on what it is that your existing computer and Operating System are not capable of doing. If your needs or wants have changed, you may need a newer, more powerful computer. If your needs or wants have not changed, continue using the computer you have until it is no longer able to complete the tasks you wish it to complete.

Why can't I install mac ventura os 13.5.2 on my macbook air from high sierra os?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.