Issue when transferring data from iphone to ipad

I have a new iPad pro, and I want to transfer my data from the iPhone to the iPad, but when I want to transfer the data I face a problem. At the last step, a sign appears on the iPhone (enjoy the new iPad), but the iPad goes back to the first step as if I did nothing and the data is not transferred. Could you please help me solve this problem?

iPhone 7, iOS 15

Posted on Sep 12, 2023 9:09 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 12, 2023 9:18 AM

These support pages should get you started with setup of your new iPad - and the methods of transferring your data from old to new iPad:

Set up your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch – Apple Support

Transfer data from your previous iOS device to your new iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Use Quick Start to transfer data to a new iPhone, iPad or iPod touch – Apple Support

If the donor iPad, from which you are transferring your data precedes iOS12.4, QuickStart will not be available.

“Transfer” is rather a misnomer. In reality, your data and setup is merely cloned to the new device. Nothing is moved or removed from the original device.

An alternative is to restore either an iCloud or iTunes backup to the new device:

How to back up your iPhone, iPad and iPod touch – Apple Support

Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch from a backup - Apple Support

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 12, 2023 9:18 AM in response to arwa217

These support pages should get you started with setup of your new iPad - and the methods of transferring your data from old to new iPad:

Set up your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch – Apple Support

Transfer data from your previous iOS device to your new iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Use Quick Start to transfer data to a new iPhone, iPad or iPod touch – Apple Support

If the donor iPad, from which you are transferring your data precedes iOS12.4, QuickStart will not be available.

“Transfer” is rather a misnomer. In reality, your data and setup is merely cloned to the new device. Nothing is moved or removed from the original device.

An alternative is to restore either an iCloud or iTunes backup to the new device:

How to back up your iPhone, iPad and iPod touch – Apple Support

Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch from a backup - Apple Support

Sep 12, 2023 4:28 PM in response to arwa217

If you continue to experience difficulties, you might be best advised to seek assistance directly from from Apple Support. You can contact the Support Team using the Support link at top-right or bottom-left of this page.

Alternatively, you can initiate and manage your support cases from Apple devices using the excellent Apple Support App. If not already installed, the App can be downloaded from the App Store:

https://apps.apple.com/app/apple-support/id1130498044

Sep 12, 2023 9:36 AM in response to arwa217

Assuming that your old iPad is still in your possession, create an iCloud backup*:

Settings > [Your Name / AppleID] > iCloud > iCloud Backup >

• Backup this iPad - set to ON
  • Backup Now

(*) the settings path and wording may slightly differ with early versions of iOS/iPadOS

When you have created an iCloud backup, you should be able to restore this backup during initial setup of your new iPad.

Sep 12, 2023 5:35 PM in response to arwa217

Try a restart of the iPad and iPhone. Not sure what iPhone you have, but if it has a home button you can do this by pressing and holding both the home button and the power button till you see the Apple Logo on the screen, If you don’t have a home button, then follow these steps:

1. Quickly press and release the Volume Up button
  2. Quickly press and release the Volume Down button
  3. Press and hold the Siri/Lock button till you see the Apple Logo on the screen

If you see a slider “Slide to turn power off” ignore this message and continue to hold the Siri/Lock button until you see the screen turn off and the Apple Logo appear on the screen. Once you see the Apple Logo you can release the button and allow the device to turn back on and finish loading.

Do this to both the iPad and the iPhone (same steps for both) and then try again. It could just be something in the software is stuck and this restart may get it working properly.

Sep 12, 2023 9:28 AM in response to LotusPilot

First of all, thank you for your response, but I did everything I mentioned in the previous links and it did not work for me. When I finish the process, the Quick Start sign appears again. As for the device version, my iPhone is updated to the latest update: iOS 16.6.1, and the iPad is: iPad Pro ( 4 th Generation) Wi-Fi + Cellular.  

When I click on download from a backup, it shows that I don't have any backups!

Sep 12, 2023 9:58 AM in response to LotusPilot

I previously had an old backup and it didn't show up.

Then I tried to make a new backup, and I also purchased additional iCloud space, and it has now been almost 13 hours and the backup indicator has not moved. I stopped the backup and restarted it, changed the Wi-Fi, and also shut down the device and restarted it, but unfortunately so far it has not worked.

Issue when transferring data from iphone to ipad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.