Photo software

I have around 900g of photos on an external drive. The photos app on my MacBook Air is painful to use, repeated crashes and forever just hanging. I have the latest IOS and all up to date.

can anyone recommend a better app to use?

MacBook Air 13″

Posted on Sep 12, 2023 10:19 AM

Similar questions

9 replies

Sep 12, 2023 11:00 AM in response to martynfromsomewhere

Please read the following user tip and restate your question/problem in detail

Writing an Effective Apple Support Communities Question - Apple Community

1. What type of drive is it, how is it formatted and connected to your MBA and how much free space does it have?
  2. How much memory do you have?
  3. How much free space on your boot drive?
  4. Have you installed and run any "cleaning", "optimizing", "speed-up", anti-virus or VPN apps on your Mac?

Sep 12, 2023 7:34 PM in response to martynfromsomewhere

If managing your collection of images is what you want to do, here are some suggestions:

• CaptureOne Pro
  • Adobe Lightroom Classic or CC
  • Adobe Bridge
  • ACDSee
  • Mylio

I used to use Apple Aperture until it was discontinued. It did everything I needed it to do, and did it well. But it's gone. After that, I went with CaptureOne Pro and have not regretted it one bit. It takes some learning but it's a very well done, powerful collection manager and photo editor. Huge competition to Lightroom.

Sep 12, 2023 12:32 PM in response to martynfromsomewhere

As noted, it likely has nothing to do with Photos itself, so you may not gain anything from different software.

Pixelmator and Affinity have apps to edit photos, but neither manage them.

I’ve used Photos on some pretty slow Macs and haven’t seen any adverse effects in Photos.

I may be misinformed on the Air line, but I don’t think it is a high-speed Mac, especially graphics.

Sep 12, 2023 11:51 PM in response to martynfromsomewhere

Lightroom Classic is the Market leader. Excellent photo management and very good post processing

Lightroom CC is closer to Photos, and excellent for sharing across devices.

CaptureOne runs it a close second

On1 Photo Raw tries to be a bit of everything and I'm not sure it succeeds

Mylio is a very good app aimed more at the consumer end of things. Photos, only better.

DxO PhotoLab is excellent post processing but poor management

Photo Supreme is management only.

Photo software

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.