Difference between buying an iPhone directly from Apple to a third seller

I want to know the benefits of buying to Apple directly and the cons of buying product to a third party seller

iPhone 5s, iOS 12

Posted on Sep 12, 2023 1:15 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 12, 2023 1:26 PM

What are the cons of buying a product to a not certified apple seller?

7 replies

Sep 12, 2023 1:23 PM in response to radiolt

If you buy from an Authorized Apple Reseller (i.e. your carrier), there really isn't that much difference. Your carrier may have deals that aren't offered in the Apple Store. It's a matter of personal preference. I prefer dealing with the Apple Store because, as I'm paying for the phone in full, I don't care about the monthly deals and because, generally, the folks at the Apple Store don't try to upsell me on a bunch of accessories I don't want.

I don't need anyone's help to set up my new phones so, the relative skills of the store staff are also not at issue for me.

If you buy from somewhere that is not an Authorized Apple Reseller, well, all I can say is "Buyer Beware".

Sep 12, 2023 1:25 PM in response to radiolt

That kind of depends on which third party seller.

In general, when. buying directly from Apple you know exactly what you are getting. No risk of getting something other than a genuine device.

For most Apple Authorized resellers and commercial stores this would apply as well.

If buying from a mobile carrier directly, you may be roped into a 24 month contract and a locked iPhone. With Apple its almost always going to be unlocked and you aren't tied to a contract with a carrier except if you choose AT&Ts installment plan.

Sep 12, 2023 1:28 PM in response to radiolt

The last two times I purchased my iPhones from Xfinity and was able to preorder them online and I received them the same day that they were released by Apple. Setting them up to connect with Xfinity was a little easier than if I had purchased from Apple.

Another advantage for me is that Xfinity, T-Mobile, Verizon, AT&T have local stores while the closest Apple Store is around 100 miles from me.

Years ago I used to purchase from Verizon and AT&T.

One advantage of purchasing directly from Apple may be their return policy. I believe Apple's return policy may be a little better than the others but I haven't checked all of their return policies.

Difference between buying an iPhone directly from Apple to a third seller

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.