Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Mac Mini A1347 (2014) Boot and Video Issues. Possible faulty logic board

I'm encountering some problems with my Mac mini A1347 from 2014. The issues I'm facing are as follows:

• When I power it on, the fan starts spinning, the white LED lights up briefly, and then it shuts down. This cycle repeats a second time before the fan continues running, and the white LED remains on.
  • I'm not getting any video signal when I connect it to the HDMI cable.

I've already tried resetting both the SMC and NVRAM, and also attempted to boot it in safe mode, but unfortunately, none of these steps have resolved the issue. At this point, I suspect it might be a problem with the logic board, but I wanted ask you first and see if anyone has any other suggestions or if there's a possibility it could be related to the power supply or the HDD. If so, I'd appreciate any guidance on how to test those components

Earlier Mac models

Posted on Sep 12, 2023 2:06 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 15, 2023 10:00 AM

The two best options are to try running the Apple Diagnostics.

Second option would be to try for an Option-Boot to see if you can get the Apple boot picker menu and let the computer sit there. If it can sit here (even if no boot devices available), it will at least tell you the power supply is working well enough to sit in this limited state. If no boot volume is shown, then your internal drive is probably bad and the source of the problem.

Unfortunately there is no good way of determining if the power supply or Logic Board is at fault without trying another power supply. You could, however, try plugging the Mini into a different electrical outlet (or directly if using a power/surge strip).

While our organization does not have that many Mac Minis, I rarely recall any issues with either the Logic Board or even power supplies in any model of the Minis. The internal drive is about the only part I replaced regularly.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 15, 2023 10:00 AM in response to pietro91

The two best options are to try running the Apple Diagnostics.

Second option would be to try for an Option-Boot to see if you can get the Apple boot picker menu and let the computer sit there. If it can sit here (even if no boot devices available), it will at least tell you the power supply is working well enough to sit in this limited state. If no boot volume is shown, then your internal drive is probably bad and the source of the problem.

Unfortunately there is no good way of determining if the power supply or Logic Board is at fault without trying another power supply. You could, however, try plugging the Mini into a different electrical outlet (or directly if using a power/surge strip).

While our organization does not have that many Mac Minis, I rarely recall any issues with either the Logic Board or even power supplies in any model of the Minis. The internal drive is about the only part I replaced regularly.

Mac Mini A1347 (2014) Boot and Video Issues. Possible faulty logic board

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.