Can I purchase an iPhone unlocked with Apple Card installments?

When trying to use the ‘get ready for pre-order’ tool, when choosing the apple card installment option, it makes me choose a carrier. I thought when using the apple card installments it lets me choose unlocked…? Anyway around this?

iPhone 11, iOS 15

Posted on Sep 12, 2023 5:59 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 26, 2023 7:56 PM

This is one of the most idiotic moves yet I've seen from Apple. Samsung doesn't even do this. (You can buy an unlocked phone at 0% interest for 2 years, no carrier activation required).

In fact, I just did that for one of the devices I was going to purchase. (Got a Samsung)

For the other device, I had a T-Mobile account that I was planning to migrate to Mint mobile. So, I activated it on that line, and the next day did the migration. (So all I did was wait for the new device to be activated before migrating).

Hoops that you shouldn't have to jump thru. Do better Apple. You used to be the best at the customer experience. This isn't the best.

15 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 26, 2023 7:56 PM in response to jjksgf

This is one of the most idiotic moves yet I've seen from Apple. Samsung doesn't even do this. (You can buy an unlocked phone at 0% interest for 2 years, no carrier activation required).

In fact, I just did that for one of the devices I was going to purchase. (Got a Samsung)

For the other device, I had a T-Mobile account that I was planning to migrate to Mint mobile. So, I activated it on that line, and the next day did the migration. (So all I did was wait for the new device to be activated before migrating).

Hoops that you shouldn't have to jump thru. Do better Apple. You used to be the best at the customer experience. This isn't the best.

Sep 12, 2023 6:04 PM in response to jjksgf

Starting August 15th, they made it so that the only way you can get a truly "unlocked"phone is by paying in full. I will say, adding a carrier to your device doesn't "lock" it since you're only financing through Apple Card Monthly Installments, but you do need a number with T-Mobile, Verizon, or AT-T to finance now with it sadly.

Dec 24, 2023 1:53 PM in response to jjksgf

wife and I have been iPhone customers forever.

this new policy really prevents us from continuing to do so. I choose to stay away from carriers grasps for a reason apple should respect this.

I understand I can finance other means or buy outright, but when other companies don’t operate this why, why should I ?

why should I settle to spend 2,000$ with a company?

Dec 27, 2023 12:18 PM in response to lkrupp

The gentlemen is expressing his thoughts on Apple's current purchase policy. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think he's aware he's not talking to Apple as this is a community forum, and he clearly is a long time Apple user. He probably expected to be able to have a rational discussion with others that may share his frustration, or get an alternative point of view as to why he may be looking at things wrong.

Personally, I don't think it warranted a response of "we have no interest in your opinions". If you don't, move on .. maybe others are interested. No offense intended.

Dec 24, 2023 4:05 PM in response to rgblack316

This is not true. The iPhone purchase is not carrier locked or eSIM (activation locked). There are multiple posts/threads in this community that dispute your statement. Comments have been posted just within the last week that prove your statement false.

I suggest rather than being accusatory, try asking for assistance first.

Happy Holidays! 😀😀

Dec 27, 2023 2:40 PM in response to Ellis Z

The terms of use for these forums expressly state that they are not for discussing Apple policies or sharing opinions about Apple’s policies and sales requirements. These forums are for users to ask technical questions and hopefully get them answered by fellow users who volunteer to help. If you are unhappy with Apple’s policies then write or email the CEO to express you opinion.

Dec 27, 2023 10:36 AM in response to R3ign

R3ign wrote:

wife and I have been iPhone customers forever.

this new policy really prevents us from continuing to do so. I choose to stay away from carriers grasps for a reason apple should respect this.

I understand I can finance other means or buy outright, but when other companies don’t operate this why, why should I ?

why should I settle to spend 2,000$ with a company?

We are not Apple employees here, no one is. Nor are we paid by Apple to respond to questions. We have no interest in your opinions or whether you buy Apple products or not. You are NOT ranting to Apple here as these are user-to-user forums. Do what’s best for you.

Dec 27, 2023 2:29 PM in response to Ellis Z

The first thing to acknowledge is this post/thread is 3+ months old. It also is apparent he didn’t search for newer discussions and solutions. It seems evident it’s a rant or possibly a troll. So, let’s go with the benefit of doubt.

Here’s what we know 3+ months later. If you purchase an iPhone from Apple to finance via ACMI, the iPhone will not be locked, it can be financed, and all is good.

Is the process as easy as before? No, it requires a minor work around, but GS is more than happy to assist. The easy way to learn the work around is to search and you’ll find hundreds of posts on Facebook, Reddit and in this community on how to bypass the supposed activation issue. The only real issue is the carrier needs to support eSIMs. Not all US carriers support eSIMs.

Can I purchase an iPhone unlocked with Apple Card installments?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.